The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) awarded $108,304 in grants to 51 educators within the District as part of the Splash! school grant program. The program provides up to $3,000 per school to enhance student knowledge of freshwater resources in grades K-12.
Splash! grants encourage hands-on student learning through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities as well as engagement of the greater school community through awareness campaigns. Each school district allocates a portion of their annual youth education funding provided by the District to support the Splash! grants in their county.
The District awarded grants to the following schools/teachers in Polk County:
- Dale R. Fair Babson Park Elementary School – Kelly Stentz
- Discovery Academy of Lake Alfred – Heather Matousek
- Hillcrest Elementary School – Nicole Goodman
- Janie Howard Wilson Elementary School – Betty Finnell
- Jewett School of the Arts – Juliana Downing-Walker
- Polk Avenue Elementary School – Melissa Kelly
- Snively Elementary School – Johnna Bryant
- South McKeel Academy – Cheryl Jacques
- Spook Hill Elementary School – Cynara Appling
Grants are available to support water education programs and activities that are focused on water cycle basics, freshwater or estuarian ecosystems, water quality and water conservation. For more information, please visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/SchoolGrants.