The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) awarded $108,304 in grants to 51 educators within the District as part of the Splash! school grant program. The program provides up to $3,000 per school to enhance student knowledge of freshwater resources in grades K-12.
Splash! grants encourage hands-on student learning through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities as well as engagement of the greater school community through awareness campaigns. Each school district allocates a portion of their annual youth education funding provided by the District to support the Splash! grants in their county.
The District awarded grants to the following schools/teachers in Manatee and Sarasota counties:
- Ashton Elementary School – Tiffany Lloyd (Sarasota)
- Atwater Elementary School – Jessica Scott-Dunda (Sarasota)
- Bay Haven School of Basics Plus – Kandace Budai (Sarasota)
- Bayshore High School – John Silva (Manatee)
- Lakewood Ranch High School – Marisa Naciuk (Manatee)
- Laurel Nokomis School – Anita Macauley (Sarasota)
- Manatee High School – Boontarika Elswick (Manatee)
- Parrish Community High School – Savanna Finley (Mantee)
- Wilkinson Elementary School – Tessa Healy (Sarasota)
Grants are available for freshwater resources field studies, water-conserving garden projects, community or school awareness campaigns and on-site workshops. For more information, please visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/SchoolGrants.