WHO: The Straz Center
WHAT: Virtual Town Hall Meetings
WHERE: Facebook Live
DETAILS: In an effort to amplify BIPOC (Black Indigenous people of color) voices, The Straz holds a series of live, virtual town hall meetings, called Voices of the Community. Each gathering is held
from 8 to 9:30 p.m. on the Straz Center’s Facebook page, as a Facebook Live event.
Each Voices of the Community town hall focuses on a different theme:
· Thursday, Sept. 28 – Planning for a year of success. We’ll provide updates and goals to meet for 2023-24 and shine a spotlight on the upcoming Third Annual Hispanic Heritage Arts Legacy REMIX.
· Thursday, Nov. 16 – Up and coming artists in the Tampa Bay area will be featured. Discussion topics include the unique challenges local artists face, such as access and visibility, as they find their footing. Artists also will share their experiences as they navigate this dynamic community.
· Thursday, Jan. 25 – Panelists will explore the importance of the Annual Arts Legacy REMIX MLK Jr. Commemoration, and themes including freedom, and how music, poetry and other artistic expression can heal and unify the community.
· Thursday, March 28 – Multiple artists from local cultures demonstrate that when diverse threads are woven together, they create this unique Tampa Bay community. This discussion will focus on how differing cultures use and create art to help represent and honor their cultures and how that shapes the Tampa Bay area.
· Thursday, May 23 – Visual artists will shine in the spotlight at the final town hall of the season. Guests include local visual artists from differing disciplines, such as photography and film, who will explore the multiple ways to portray our experiences through the power of imagery and why it is important.
For more information about the Straz Center for the Performing Arts and its upcoming events, visit www.strazcenter.org.
Events, days, dates, times, performers and prices are subject to change without notice.