(Brooksville, FL) Hernando County Emergency Management has coordinated with the Public Works Department to begin collecting debris caused from Hurricane Idalia. Debris removal pick-ups will start Monday September 11th, 2023, by a storm debris contractor (not Republic Services). Areas included in debris removal pick-up are between CR 550 (Cortez Blvd) and Osowaw Blvd west of US 19. Only storm generated debris will be collected. Please see the attached graphic for appropriate separation guidelines.
· Any appliances should be emptied before being placed at the curb for pick-up. Food waste can be disposed of with your regular household garbage.
· You may see multiple trucks on your street on the same day or trucks on different days, as each truck will be picking up a specific type of debris.
· Yard waste should be prepared separately and collected as Republic Services will pick up in accordance with their procedures, as Idalia did not generate large amounts of yard waste.
If you choose to dispose of your storm debris before the scheduled pick-up date, residents should dispose of the material at the Northwest Solid Waste Facility (Main Landfill) located at 14450 Landfill Road as the convenience centers do not accept construction and demolition debris and cannot accommodate the quantities generated from this event. Call (352) 754-4112 for more information. The County landfill is open Monday to Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Hernando County Fire Rescue Division of Emergency Management continues to monitor and inform our community about Hurricane Idalia. We will continue to keep you updated before, during and after the storm. Visit the following web and social media sites for more information.
- For the latest local conditions and a complete list of news alerts go to www.HernandCounty.us/EM
- Sign up to receive weather alerts at www.AlertHernando.org
- Follow us on Facebook @HernandoCoGov @hernandocofire
- Follow us on Twitter @HernandoCoGov @hernandocofire
- Help us track damage from Hurricane Idalia by using the following hashtag: #hernandoprepares