- Florida Digestive Health Specialists (FDHS) – Florida’s premier gastroenterology network led by Dr. Scott Corbett, Director Barrett’s Esophagus Institute at FDHS and Chief of Gastroenterology, Sarasota Memorial Hospital. I believe WEDU interviewed not too long ago on a different topic.
- Lucid Diagnostics, Inc. – a cancer prevention diagnostics company represented by Dr. Lishan Aklog, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer.
- FDHS and Lucid have joined forces to launch a mobile testing center for esophageal precancer (EAC) that will service Greater Central Florida – beginning in Sarasota!
- Following a brief unveiling ceremony, the mobile testing unit will be put to work, testing patients from the broader Sarasota area throughout the day.
Why it’s important:
- The only known precursor to EAC is Barrett’s esophagus, a condition caused by acid reflux, which impacts millions of Americans.
- 94% of patients who have Barrett’s don’t realize they have reflux.
- Data presented by the University of Florida last year showed a distressing shift in the age of onset for EAC toward the 45- to 60-year-old age group throughout Florida – a key demographic for the Sarasota area (Median age = 49).
- Because it often goes undetected, over 80 percent of EAC patients die within five years of diagnosis, making it the second most lethal cancer in the U.S.
- Lucid’s EsoGuard test is the first and only commercially available diagnostic test capable of serving as a widespread tool to prevent cancer and cancer deaths through early detection of esophageal precancer in at-risk individuals. And it takes less than 5-minutes.
When and Where:
- The unveiling ceremony will take place Monday, June 5, 2023, at 8:00am ET in the parking lot of the Gastroenterology Associates of Sarasota, located at 2089 Hawthorne St. Sarasota, FL 34239
- In addition to opening remarks by Dr. Corbett and Dr. Lishan, other guest speakers may join. We will keep you posted.
- Interviews are welcome and we may have additional B-roll available prior to the event.