Who: The Architect Selection Task Force assigned with the architect design selection process for a new Sarasota Performing Arts Center at The Bay will host live in-person interviews and presentations with the three finalist firms. The forums are open to the public.
The final firms presenting are:
- Foster + Partners Limited
- Renzo Piano Building Workshop
Gehry Partners, one of the finalists selected by the Task Force has withdrawn from the competition.
What: The Architect Selection Task Force consists of 3 Foundation Board Members and a City of Sarasota-appointed designate.
Where: Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall Grand Foyer, 777 N. Tamiami Trail
When: In-person interviews and presentations will be made by the final three firms on Wednesday, May 31 from 9 am to 4:30pm.
Registration is recommended, but not required: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/architect-presentations-for-the-sarasota-performing-arts-center-tickets-642327206967
Background: The Architect Selection Process has spanned 6-months to date, with the following milestones:
- November 2022 – RFQ produced 43 submissions from interested firms.
- January 6, 2023 – RFPs were received from 18 qualifying firms.
- February 27, 2023 – 6 semi-finalists were selected to continue.
- April 2023 – Site visits and reference checks were completed.
- May 12, 2023 – A final slate was selected to present in Sarasota.
The Task Force is comprised of three Sarasota Performing Arts Foundation Board Members and a City of Sarasota-appointed designee:
- Dr. Jenne K. Britell, Vice-Chair, Chair of Task Force
- Mark Famiglio, Board Member
- Michele Hooper, Board Member
- Mary Bensel, Executive Director, The Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall.
Next Steps: Task Force Deliberation and Selection of Architect Firm
Thursday, June 1, 2023 – 1 p.m.; final deliberation and selection of an architect to award the design contract for the new Performing Arts Center. The deliberation will be held in Room 112 at City Hall, 1565 First Street, and will be open to the public.
Contact: For any media inquiries or interview requests, contact Anand Pallegar at email@example.com. For more information about The Sarasota Performing Arts Foundation, please visit: SarasotaPerformingArtsFoundation.org
About The Sarasota Performing Arts Foundation
The Foundation is leading our community into a new era, creating and developing the vision for a contemporary performing arts model of national significance for Sarasota. The venue will be a magnet destination for generations, with the potential to advance education and enrich communities across the state and country.