Saturday, May 6
Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall’s Grand Foyer
This year’s winners represent achievements in the areas of architecture, historic preservation, collections management, archaeological conservancy, and organizational and individual achievement.
(April 18, 2023) The Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation (SAHP), in collaboration with the History & Preservation Coalition of Sarasota County (HPCOSC), is honored to present the 2023 Heritage Awards for Sarasota County. The awardees will be honored at a ceremony on Saturday, May 6, 4-8 p.m., in the Grand Foyer of the Van Wezel Performing Arts Hall. Tickets are $150 and include refreshments, dinner, dessert, and an awards presentation hosted by John McCarthy, vice president of regional history for Marie Selby Botanical Gardens. For more information on the awards ceremony and to purchase tickets, visit www.PreserveSRQ.org or call 941 254-3002.
Lorrie Muldowney, the president of SAHP and chairperson of the Heritage Awards committee, says that the Heritage Awards program was developed in 2014 “to recognize individuals and organizations that have made outstanding contributions to the preservation and understanding of Sarasota County’s historical resources. These activities are important to lend public support to governmental and citizen-based efforts that preserve our common past so future generations can enjoy what is so unique and beautiful about Sarasota County.”
Muldowney explains that this year’s winners represent achievements in the areas of architecture, historic preservation, collections management, archaeological conservancy, and organizational and individual achievement.
The 2023 Heritage Award recipients:
- First Place Winner: The McCulloch Pavilion, Architecture Sarasota, 265 South Orange Avenue, Sarasota.
- Citation of Merit: Sarasota Waterworks, 1005 Orange Avenue North, Sarasota.
- Honorable Mention: Caldwell Trust Building, 27 South Orange Avenue, Sarasota.
- The Eagle House, 2516 Mulberry Terrace, Sarasota, Florida.
- US Modernist (Modernist Archive, Inc.), Durham, North Carolina.
Historic Collections Preservation
- Ana McGrath, MLIS, Jane Bancroft Cook Library, New College, Sarasota.
Lillian Burns Individual Achievement
- First Place Winner: Don Bayley, Englewood, Florida.
- Distinguished Service: Harold Bubil, Punta Gorda, Florida.
- Honorable Mention: Becky Ayech, Sarasota, Florida.
- First Place Winner: Venice Area Historical Society, Venice.
- Special Recognition: Marie Selby Botanical Gardens, Sarasota & Osprey.
- Honorable Mention: Denise Kowal and Avenida De Colores (Chalk Festival), Sarasota.
- Time Sifters Archeological Society, Sarasota.
The Heritage Awards committee is comprised of professionals in the fields of architecture, historic preservation, real estate development, archaeology, history and collections management who deliberated over the awards submissions before making their final selections.
The Sarasota Alliance for Historic Preservation, Inc., is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to “Preserve and Enhance our Historic Places.” SAHP was incorporated in 1985 in an attempt to save architect Dwight Baum’s El Vernona Hotel in downtown Sarasota. The Alliance, a membership-driven organization, is comprised of more than 500 residents, visitors, artists, architects, engineers, historians, builders, archaeologists, Realtors, planners, designers, and writers working together to preserve and encourage others to preserve – not only the remaining significant landmarks – but also the contributing structures that define Sarasota County. For more information, visit www.PreserveSRQ.org.