Wild Irish sport of “hurling,” live music, and other favorites return
TAMPA, FL (March 1, 2023) – Lucky you! Today the River O’ Green Fest presented by Grow Financial announced a new way to join in Downtown Tampa’s celebration of St. Patrick’s Day. New this year, Freedom Boat Club will be offering a limited number of free boat rides along the Hillsborough River, which will be dyed emerald green.
The Tampa Downtown Partnership and City of Tampa also announced the full slate of food, music, and fun for the free festival that will take over Curtis Hixon Waterfront Park from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 18.
“This makes one of Tampa’s best events even more memorable, with free boat rides along the green Hillsborough River for potential Freedom Boat Club members,” said Tampa Downtown Partnership President and CEO Lynda Remund. “Getting out on the water brings a unique perspective. You’ll get an up-close look at the bright green river and incredible views of our beautiful downtown skyline.”
Check out the sport of ”hurling”—a rowdy Irish mix of hockey, baseball, and football—with demonstrations throughout the day by DSM Sports Marketing, Inc. Creative partiers can enter a pet costume contest, sponsored by the Barrymore Hotel, with winners announced at 3 p.m. Tampa communications provider KUDUCOM returns as an event sponsor this year.
River O’ Green Fest Presented by Grow Financial
Full Food and Entertainment Schedule
FOOD AND BEVERAGE VENDORS
- Jersey Kabobs
- The Greeks Food Truck
- St. Pete Taco Lady
- The Melt Machine
- JB’s Sweet Addiction
- The Brisket Shoppe
- 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. – Hurling Demonstrations by DSM Sports Marketing, Inc.
- 11:15 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. – Paddy O’Furniture musical performance
- 1:15 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. – Irish Buskers musical performance
- 3 p.m. – Pet Costume Contest sponsored by Barrymore Hotel
TRANSFORMING THE RIVER
- At 11:00 a.m., Tampa Mayor Jane Castor will sound the horn to start the process of dyeing the Hillsborough River green.
- The dye is non-toxic, biodegradable, and certified to meet National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 60 for use in and around drinking water.
- The Hillsborough County Environmental Protection Commission (HCEPC) examined the dye and approved it for use as part of the River O’ Green event.
River O’ Green Fest is brought to you by the Tampa Downtown Partnership, the City of Tampa, and Grow Financial. Boat rides are available for potential Freedom Boat Club members; a limited number will be available—visit the boat club’s booth for details.
About the Tampa Downtown Partnership
Tampa Downtown Partnership is a private, membership-based not-for-profit 501(c)(6) comprised of companies, organizations, and individuals with a common goal of advancing Tampa’s Downtown. Through an annual contract with the City of Tampa, Tampa Downtown Partnership administers the Special Services District. In addition to Tampa’s Downtown Guides and Clean Team, Tampa Downtown Partnership serves downtown through marketing, business development, transportation, advocacy, public space activation, planning, and beautification.