The video streaming market is on the rise, including smart TV services. Smart TV is a specific type of television that depends on the Internet connection. Thanks to that, smart TV enables users to watch any video content (movies, TV shows, etc.) at any time they want. Smart TV is also available via specific apps that can be downloaded to almost any gadget, so video broadcasting has become as convenient as ever before!
This ease of use makes smart TVs extremely popular among users and stimulates unprecedented growth of the niche. Based on Grand View Research, in 2021 the global smart TV market share was $187,71 billion. Now the smart TV market is expected to grow by 10,9% by 2030.
So if you’re thinking of smart TV app development, what are you still waiting for?
Smart TV app development types & stats
To start with, you should know that several operating systems are used for smart TV apps. Consequently, we can outline the following app types:
- Android TV apps and Google TV apps – as of 2022, there were approximately 110 million devices with such apps downloaded
- Apple TV apps – the number of Apple TV users is expected to reach 36 million by 2026
- Amazon Fire TV apps – the Amazon Fire TV App Store is one of the most popular mobile app vendors worldwide, offering more than 17k apps.
Smart TV App Development Process
The smart TV app development workflow depends on the specifics of the particular tech company, however, it always contains the following steps:
- a thorough investigation of the market, competitors, target audience, trends, etc
- creation of the strategy and tactical planning that always includes precise evaluation of the time, budget, number, and expertise of tech talents needed to deliver a particular project, etc.
- prototyping – to achieve the best possible result, we highly recommend not to dive into coding at once – first build your prototypes. The prototype is a kind of mockup that shows you a visual concept of your future app and its general specifics of functionality. The prototypes can be edited and improved as many times as needed to make your future app great
- UI/UX design – when the prototypes are approved, you can move straight to the creation of the catchy and easy-to-perceive design
- Coding – this stage is one of the most time-consuming as your development team implements your ideas into something ‘tangible’ with the help of technologies!
- Quality assurance – before your app will be launched to the market, it’s of crucial importance to ensure that everything runs smoothly, there are no bugs, and your app will be able to work without interruptions even under high traffic loads. That’s why QA engineers are needed to test your app
- Launch to the market – congrats! You’re so close to getting your first users and profits! Still, don’t forget that launching to the market also requires strict compliance with the app store rules and regulations, as well as marketing promotion to help you attract the maximum number of your target users.
How much will it cost to create a smart TV app?
It’s hard to provide a precise answer to this question as smart TV app development costs vary significantly based on many factors: the complexity of the features and design, urgency, tech stack, level of expertise, and rates of the developers that you hire.
Our Perfsol outsourcing team specializes in smart app development, so based on our expertise and average rate ($40), we can calculate that smart TV app development can cost you starting from $30000-$50000. In comparison, the development of the same app in the U.S. where the average rate is $100 will cost you at least $75 000.
So if you’re looking for cost flexibility without loss of quality of your app, we recommend you to try software development outsourcing. For example, Perfsol works with clients from all over the world, so our team members have good English proficiency and an understanding of other cultures. We have 5+ years of experience in video streaming app development and were listed among the top Clutch B2B tech companies!
We’re excited to get to know more about your project ideas, so feel free to contact us and get an expert consultation!