SARASOTA, Fla. (Nov. 29, 2022) – JFCS of the Suncoast has been thrilled with the community’s generosity in donating gifts for families and seniors who are struggling. More than 330 children and 150 seniors signed up for holiday assistance through JFCS this year, and while hundreds have been adopted by donors, there are still more than 60 children and 25 seniors up for adoption.
Since 2004, JFCS has organized its annual Adopt-a-Family campaign to help ease the burden on parents struggling to provide holiday meals and gifts to their families. Donors can also brighten the day of seniors in isolation through the Adopt-a-Senior program. More than 2,100 children from over 660 families have benefitted from the Adopt-a-Family program since its inception.
Adopt-a-Family/Senior recipients are current JFCS clients who participate in a variety of mental health and human services programs. Many are still hoping to receive a dose of holiday cheer and assistance, especially after the devastation suffered in the community during and after Hurricane Ian.
How it works:
- Those wishing to adopt a family should be willing to purchase a gift card from a major retailer to help the parent shop for a holiday meal. Donors will be provided with details about the families they have been paired up with so they can purchase one or more of the items on the children’s holiday wish lists, as well as clothing and shoes.
- People who prefer not to be matched with a specific family can choose to donate money toward the purchase of gifts, or they can donate unwrapped children’s toys and items.
- Those adopting a senior should fill gift bags with hard candy, stamps, notepads, pens, hand lotion, hand sanitizer, lip balm, tissues, socks, refrigerator magnets, and store gift cards. People can also donate funds toward senior gift bags.
How to participate in Adopt-a-Family/Senior:
- If you would like to adopt a family or senior, please email Karen Pharo at email@example.com.
- The deadline to make donations and drop off gifts is Dec. 9.
- Donations to the fundraiser can be made through Pay Pal by choosing Adopt-a-Family/Adopt-a-Senior in the drop-down menu. Click here to donate.
- For more information and gift ideas, please visit https://jfcs-cares.org/holiday-giving.
About JFCS: One of the Florida Suncoast’s leading mental health and human services agencies, JFCS delivers programs and services on a non-denominational basis with the goal of empowering individuals toward well-being and self-reliance. Inspired by the Jewish tradition of helping all people, JFCS of the Suncoast believes all people should be treated with dignity and respect and have equal opportunity for physical and mental well-being, self-expression, and joy. For more information, visit https://JFCS-Cares.org/ or call (941) 366-2224.