Having a dog as a pet is all about good fortune. This furry friend will never leave you alone, especially when you feel lonely. It brings immense happiness and excitement to an individual’s life. Happiness brings a wholesome responsibility to the owners, especially with their diet.
Nuts are sensitive food items for human beings too. Several people are allergic to them. However, are dogs allergic to nuts too? What happens if your dog ate a pistachio shell? Let’s find it out.
Pistachio nuts are a delicious treat for any person. It is not at all harmful to human beings, and when it comes to pistachio, those glaring eyes of your furry friend will compel you to share your treat with them. However, macadamia nuts are poisonous to your furry friend. Therefore, it does not mean you can allow your dogs to enjoy pistachios. Here are a few reasons why it is a bad idea.
- Pistachio Shells are Dangerous
You might clean out the shell of your favorite pistachio nuts before enjoying it, but you can expect that from your dog. They focus on the food more than the etiquette. Swallowing large chunks of pistachio with a shell can be a health hazard for your innocent partner. The hard rough outer covering of the nut can choke your dog’s digestive tract leading to a serious medical issue.
2. High-Fat Content
While walnuts, pistachio, and macadamia nuts can be a rich source of fat in human diets, it is not a good inclusion for a canine diet. First, you should not share your diet with your dog. If you are doing it, filter it to remove the high content of nutty fats. Too much fat in your dog’s diet can cause serious health ailments like diarrhea, obesity, and accumulation of cholesterol that can lead to heart attacks, vomiting, and pancreatitis. Therefore, pistachio might not kill your dog; it can affect it in the long run of life.
3. Pistachio easily Develops Molds
What could be the most harmful thing in your dog’s diet? It is Aspergillus molds. Providing your dog food in clean containers is essential to prevent any fungicidal growth. Aspergillus mold is popularly called the common mold that mainly grows on grocery food items, especially on nuts. Keeping food stored for several days in the airtight cupboards skyrockets the growth of such molds. While such molds are non-toxic, they can severely affect your furry friend’s health.
So, if you think you can offer your dogs some delicious nuts from your diet, it is a strict no! Nuts are non-toxic for dogs, but it comes with different side effects. A few nuts in your dogs’ diet can adversely affect their health. If you want to know more about the dietary taboos for your dog or cat, refer to Cat Judo today! From the best take care tips to getting the best advice on how to get rid of unwanted stuff, Cat Judo is always there for you with the best advice.