Gambling addiction is notorious for being a stubborn affliction that is life-altering. Mr. Andrew, a psychologist who has long been studying this serious problem, attended a meeting that, at first glance, looked like Alcoholics Anonymous. Spotting the famous Milan Rabszski, one can deduce this is a meeting with people suffering from a gambling addiction.
As the man funding their treatment, he is taking personal steps to help them overcome their addiction. Here is what Mr. Andrew has to say from his experience in the stands.
Let’s Draw a Line between Gambling and Gambling Addiction
“Traditionally speaking, gambling is a daring activity involving the potential loss of money or other goods, as well as an element of luck or chance,” says Milan. But it doesn’t sound as bad when you include the ecstasy from a win, the adrenaline from choosing the right strategy and, let’s not forget, the money! he continues.
Gambling, by definition, isn’t an activity that concerns many. However, when it comes to gambling addiction, it turns into a whole other ball game. Why is that?
“Imagine enjoying the work you do. Say you’re a food critic; this is definitely one of my dream jobs!” chuckles Milan. He says, “being a food critic; you can enjoy food for its quality. But when one starts to overconsume and create an unhealthy habit with what should be sustenance, we know there is a problem”.
Gambling addiction is the same; you treat it as it is, an addiction.
Why Are You Here?
Milan, facing the players whose treatment he is funding, asked, “what prompted you to take this step?” Several players spoke of their experiences in Lemon Casino http://topkasynoonline.com/review/lemon-casino/; some of them included:
(Note that their surnames are redacted for privacy purposes.)
Milan, I took to gambling after I lost my father to cancer. We all knew he was going to die, but I could not handle my grief and took to gambling. Unfortunately, it has taken over. I want to stop before it costs me my relationships with loved ones.
Hello, I’m here after spending most of my life savings on high-stakes games. You never know you are addicted to something until your choices bring you to your knees. I don’t want to earn back the money; I just want to be able to protect what I have left from myself.
I didn’t think I had an addiction, but my parents were concerned for my future. After begrudgingly coming here this morning, I realized I was indeed wasting away my youth. But I know I need help; I’ve been itching to play since you began speaking, Milan!
Hello Milan, hello everyone; I am here because I can no longer sleep due to my addiction. Even if I do, I hear the slot machine noises and dream of reels. I’ve lost my job due to this, and that was my wake-up call.
So, Is There a Solution?
Telling an overworking individual that they need to stop is futile. They will look right through you as they think of the next thing to do. They’re addicted to the rush of work and the escape it provides. “Ask me, I know!” laughs Milan. “Which is why I’m here, revealing my secrets to overcoming addiction.”
First, we need to understand the damage this is causing to ourselves and to others. Acceptance is the first step. “There are three types of gamblers”, Milan starts to count.
- The professional gambler. They are rare to find, and they have mastered their management skills to avoid addiction.
- Social gamblers. They, too, have a strong hold on their finances, time management and energy they spend on gambling as they firmly believe gambling is a form of recreational activity.
- Finally, we have the problematic gamblers. These are players who have an issue with impulse control and are yet to face the consequences of their poor choices.
“Which one are you?” he asks. “And what do you do to combat this issue?
- Exercise when you feel the need for a dopamine rush.
- Set alarms to take breaks from what you’re doing. This helps clear the mind.
- Limit the usage of certain devices and cards that trigger your impulse.
- Find other things to occupy your time and mind.
- Seek help.
You Don’t Have to Do It All Alone
Get help from someone else. Do not be afraid of this. In the event that you are dealing with major gambling-related issues, having someone to lean on will make the process go more smoothly. Confide in someone who won’t judge you for your gambling issues. A spouse, parent, or close friend could be the individual in question.
“Professional counseling, advice, and assistance are available from a variety of sources.”, he says. Allowing yourself to be vulnerable with another person can help alleviate the anxiety and depression that lead to compulsive gambling. “What you’re doing today by coming here shows you’re ready for change, and we’re all very proud of you” Milan smiles at the players.
Strategies Towards a Better Tomorrow: Advice from a Psychologist
As a working professional in the field, Mr. Andrew has a few things he hopes to add that may benefit the players.
- Keeping a journal of your gaming habits can help you better understand your addiction. Include the sort of gambling, the length of time spent, and the amount of money you bet. Before and during a gambling session, record your thoughts, feelings, and situations in order to gain a better understanding of your addiction.
- If you want to stop or reduce your gambling, develop short- and long-term goals to assist you in keeping focused and clear on your goals.
- Be kind to yourself and give yourself credit for the good things you’ve done. Make a list of them to serve as a constant reminder of your best qualities.
- Many people continue to gamble since they have no other options for using their free time. Discover new interests and pastimes.
Milan ends this meeting talking one on one with addicted players, trying to understand a way to devise customized strategies for them. “Not everyone is in the same boat; they need solutions to their problems, not A problem,” he says. Milan Rabszski is an editor in chief for his passion project that provides information about various polskie kasyno legalne. This is a Poles for Poles enterprise located in Złota 59, 00-120 Warsaw. You can also call him at +48 22 595 14 00 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Listen to his podcast topkasynoonline.buzzsprout.com, where he talks about everything gambling-related, including the popular payment methods in Poland at the time of writing, in June 2022: Blik, Przelewy24, Paysafecard, Bitcoin, Ecopayz.
On the date of issue (June 2022). Note: Unfortunately, gambling is illegal in Poland, so the content in this article is used only for informational purposes and is available to users outside of Poland.