When Bitcoin was launched it took some time for it to take off and get recognized around the globe. This paved the way for the other cryptocurrencies prevalent in the market. Now that the world has embraced cryptocurrency, it is time to understand and consider the difference between Fiat currency and cryptocurrency. Once you have gone through these differences you will get a better understanding of cryptocurrency. It will be easier for you to make a decision regarding the trading of cryptocurrency.
Key differences between cryptocurrency and fiat currency
- Fiat currency is decided by the government of a country. It is established as a legal tender but cryptocurrency is a decentralized platform that uses encryption and blockchain to carry out transactions.
- Fiat currency is controlled and issued by the government whereas cryptocurrency has no regulatory authority. There is no government-controlled financial institution where you can buy, sell or use cryptocurrency.
- Whenever you are carrying out a transaction with Fiat currency, there has to be a third party involved. For example, when you are shopping online, you need to go through a payment gateway which is a third party. In the case of cryptocurrency, there is no other intermediary.
- Fiat currency has an unlimited supply and you keep getting issued as and when required. Different cryptocurrencies have different limits according to the total token available but none of them are unlimited.
- In the case of fiat currency, you have notes, coins, and other physical forms to exchange. Cryptocurrency is not tangible yet. Bitcoin offers the option of getting a personalized token made however it cannot be used directly. Cryptocurrency is used electronically only.
- Whenever you wish to send Fiat currency across the globe, you have to jump through a bunch of hoops. You also have to pay a hefty fee when you are looking for cross-border transfers. In the case of cryptocurrency, the transaction fee is minimal and the speed of transaction is much better.
- When you are making a transaction from your cryptocurrency wallet with your key, you don’t have to declare your identity and the transaction can be between two anonymous parties. In the case of Fiat currency, you need to provide proper authentication to go ahead with the transaction online.
- The role of Fiat currency in the world economy is only as a currency. On the other hand, cryptocurrency can be a commodity as well as a currency.
- Fiat currency has been around for a really long time and there are structures in place to accept it in electronic as well as physical forms all over the world. You don’t need to invest in additional infrastructure to accept payments. However, cryptocurrency is not the conventional form of payment and that is why you need a separate infrastructure which can cost quite a bit.
- Cryptocurrency is a blessing for frequent international travelers. When you are traveling from one country to the next you need to get your currency exchanged. If you choose cryptocurrency as a form of payment then no matter where you are in the world it does not need to change.
- One of the most important differences in the value of Fiat currency and cryptocurrency is that the value of Fiat currency will remain the same irrespective of the ups and downs in the market. Cryptocurrency is known for the volatility of its value. This means cryptocurrency can be used for payments, however due to the fluctuating value it is popular as a mode of payment. For example, Solana to INR value can change overnight and you may end up overpaying or underpaying for the same item.
Difference between cryptocurrency and e-money
Many people confuse digital currency like Bitcoin (btc) or Ethereum(eth) with e-money. Electronic money is what you spend from your bank account debit or credit card or net banking. A cryptocurrency is a different form of currency that works because of blockchain technology.
The simplest way to differentiate is to know that digital currency is not tangible whereas e-money is just the electronic form of fiat currency. If you are looking to convert btc to inr, head to CoinSwitch today!