What is moissanite? Is it better than diamonds? How much does it cost? Well, moissanite is a natural gemstone that has close similarities with diamond. However, they are different. Therefore, it is important to study diamonds versus Moissanite qualities to get the best out of them. Most importantly, while there is naturally occurring moissanite, people also manufacture it in the lab. This synthetic gemstone is often confused with real diamonds because they look almost identical.
Today, moissanite is mainly a manmade gemstone that is very affordable compared to diamonds. It is a great choice for anyone who wants a beautiful stone without spending a fortune. The best part about moissanite is that you can get the same sparkle and brilliance of a diamond or even better at a fraction of the price. These are some close similarities between diamond and moissanite.
What are the differences between Moissanite and diamonds?
Learning the qualities and differences between moissanite versus diamonds can help you decide which one would be the right fit for your jewelry needs. The two stones have similar physical characteristics but they differ in their chemical composition. They both come from the earth. However, moissanite comes from volcanic rocks whereas diamonds come from sedimentary rock.
- Origin. Diamonds are composed of carbon atoms arranged into a crystalline structure. On the other hand, moissanite contains silicon carbide atoms arranged in a cubic crystal structure.
- Heat and corrosion resistance. Moissanite has better heat and corrosion resistance compared to diamonds. In fact, moissanite can withstand temperatures up to 2200 degrees Celsius (3932 degrees Fahrenheit) before losing its shine. This makes moissanite an excellent option for jewelry pieces worn on hot days.
- Moissanite is more durable than diamonds. Unlike diamonds, moissanite does not scratch easily. Even if you accidentally drop your diamond ring, it will not lose its luster. Moissanite, on the other hand, may chip or break if dropped.
- Value and Cost. Diamonds are one of the most valuable stones in existence, but moissanite costs less than half as much. Mining diamond requires huge amounts of energy and water, which means that it is not sustainable.
- Ethical value. On the other hand, moissanite is mined using less expensive and ethical means. Most importantly, dealers make them in the lab. That way, their production costs are low as better prices in the market compared to diamond counterparts.
- Brilliance. Moissanite have a higher refractive index (RI) which means they reflect more light than diamonds. Therefore, they appear brighter.
- Cutting. The cutting process is what makes moissanite so unique. Manufacturers cut them to create the perfect shape and size. The result is a gemstone that appears flawless and brilliant.
- Color. While moissanite comes in all colors, diamond comes only in white. This is so because diamond is primarily mined from its source. On the other hand, manufacturers make moissanite in the lab. As such, they can produce any color they want.
Moissanite VS Diamonds: Which One Should I Choose?
If you are looking for an investment option, then moissanite may be your best bet. Not only do they offer similar characteristics, they are also cheaper than diamonds. However, it all depends on what you are looking for your use.
Diamonds make a statement in the jewelry market. That is the reason, they have remained crucial in the jewelry market to this day. If you have the money, buying a diamond will give you the class and status you want.
Is Moissanite better than diamonds?
Yes! Both moissanite and diamonds are gems that can make jewelry items. However, moissanite offers several advantages over diamonds. What makes moissanite a better option is the fact that you can make it in the lab. This is a huge benefit to jewelry lovers and the community at large because it does not involve complex unfriendly mining methods to acquire it.
Choosing between Moissanite and diamond is a daunting task if you do not know them. However, you can learn about the differences between these two precious stones. This information should help you pick the best choice for your needs without any difficulties. Moissanite will give you great value at an affordable cost unlike diamond.