When: Feb. 6 – 28
Where: ArtLofts, 10 5th Street North, St. Petersburg (second floor of Florida Craftart)
Reception: Feb. 12, Second Saturday Art Walk. 5:30 – 9
Cost: Free and open to the public
Contact: Brandy Stark
It is that time of year again: time for dark romance! Valentwe’en 2022 is back again. This year’s theme is illuminati/Illuminaughty, the erotic use of light to augment that romantic feeling (think of Morticia Addams and the light that frames her eyes).
Valentwe’en is a mash up of Valentine’s Day and Hallowe’en. It is a time for romantic ghost tours, calla lilies, and the odd horror/romantic movie. Costumes always welcome (dress as your favorite dark couple).
Coming for 2022:
· Awards: This year, we are letting the people decide who wins First, Second, and Third place. On the night of the reception, patrons will be given a sticker to place next to their favorite work. The one with the most stickers wins first, the second, second, and third, third. Members of the sponsoring group, the SPIRITS of St. Petersburg paranormal investigation team, will decide on the Most SPIRITed award for the piece most keeping to the concept of Valentwe’en/theme.
· Darjuxena’s B.R.E.W.S. Dance Show, a fun friendly dance coven of witches led by DJ (Lady Darjuxena). DJ writs and creates new dance choreography every year just for this show. This year, they are focused on doing LED lights in keeping with the theme.
· A sneak peek of Alicia Campos’s Tarot Card Project. A year-long project in the making, it features Florida artists assigned a tarot card in order to create a corresponding art work featuring interpretation of the card. The finalized works, approved by a group of Tarot card readers, will be published in a Florida-artist-themed Tarot deck. As this process works its way to the finished product, a selection of completed paintings will be shown as a preview of the completed show during Valentwe’en.
· Tarot card readings: A local Tarot card reader will be on hand for readings! Price of the readings depends upon the person at the event, but offers a great insight to your own Gothic romance!
· Photo op: Come and meet our lovely skeleton lovebirds who will dress in their finest Valentween attire. Free photo opportunity for the public will take place in Brian James’ studio where patrons can post and create their own Valentween memory!
· Food by Avocado: Kristi Capone of Avacodo, a vegan based catering and food preparation service, will provide light yummy snacks. Tips are encouraged but we want to support keeping things local!
· Create and donate Valentine’s Day cards for shut ins/hospital patients: ArtLoft artists are donating supplies to a Valentine making station. Participants will create cards to be distributed to those who might not be able to get out and celebrate Valentine’s Day.