According to the reports and data, the maximum number of accidents on the road is caused by drunk drivers in Colorado but in most of the cases the victims don’t get justice or compensation as nobody files a claim. This blog is a short guide to tell you about your rights and how to hire an attorney to represent you.
Driving while drunk is a serious safety issue, and people who drive while being on alcohol or any drugs should be held accountable. Drunk driving accidents cause many problems for the victim besides getting injured or maybe death in the worst case. Besides that, there is a financial emergency due to treatment and other medical expenses, damage of the vehicle, unable to earn to mention a few.
When an intoxicated driver causes your accident under the influence of alcohol or drugs, then your case comes under DUI law which stands for “driving under the influence,” also sometimes referred to as DWI, which is an acronym for “driving while intoxicated”.
What to do after an accident caused by drunk driving?
Suppose you are in Grand Junction, Colorado, and you met with an accident, or someone you know is a victim of a drunk driving accident. In that case, the first thing you need to do is inform a cop and seek medical help. Next thing that you should do is consult a Grand Junction DUI lawyer from your locality. It is essential to talk and hire an experienced, knowledgeable, and highly skilled injury and defense lawyer who has a success rate in drunk driving cases. A good lawyer will help you get the compensation you deserve. Compensation will include the current and future medical expenses, expenses for property damage, and other non-economic losses.
If you are looking for a lawyer to help you in a DUI case, you should look for these qualities in your attorney.
- The lawyer you hire should primarily work and focus on DUI cases. The expertise of your lawyer in this field will help you get the maximum compensation.
- Your lawyer should have a good experience of being a DUI attorney. Their experience gives you an edge in the court.
- Your attorney should have certification of DUI defense injury law and injury law from the University of Colorado law schools’ association.
Your lawyer will represent you
Hiring a good lawyer in your locality would help you in several ways as mentioned below:
- The lawyer would know how much the accident case is worth and what negotiations have to be made with the insurance company to get the maximum benefit from the insurance.
- Your attorney would know how to maximize your claim. For example, they will know precisely the insurance coverage available for injuries and medical expenses, both current and future.
- Your attorney will also help you settle the case fast by efficiently managing all the legal procedures.
- Your attorney’s knowledge will help you with the issue so that it lands in your favour and you get the best compensation.
To sum up, when you have legal representation you don’t have to panic wondering what to do after an accident. Make sure you hire someone who has a good experience and a reputation.