On average, the American Red Cross responds to more than 60,000 disasters every year, the vast majority of which are home fires. Home fires are not only the most common disaster, but they are also deadly—claiming seven lives every day. Unlike natural disasters, home fires are largely preventable through fire safety education and preparedness.
State Farm paid $2.2 billion on nearly 36,000 claims for home fires in 2020. The Pledge to Prepare campaign is focused on two simple steps – preparing a fire escape plan and practicing it AND testing smoke alarms monthly.
State Farm® has joined the American Red Cross in promoting the importance of fire safety by encouraging everyone to Pledge to Prepare. Home fires are not only the most common disaster, but they are also deadly—claiming seven lives every day. Unlike natural disasters, home fires are largely preventable through fire safety education and preparedness.
Here’s how you can Pledge to Prepare:
• Create a fire escape plan and plot two escape routes from each room.
• Practice a two-minute drill with all members of your household – from your home to a safe meeting place – at least two times a year.
• Test your smoke alarms monthly.
• Pledge to Prepare online at Pledge to Prepare State Farm (redcross.org) – https://www.redcross.org/lp/pledge-to-prepare/state-farm.html
• Spread the word on Twitter, Facebook, and/or Instagram using the “Share this story” feature on the statefarm.com newsroom article to alert others about the important steps they can take for their families.
“As a company, our mission is to help people manage the risks of everyday life,” said John Burns, Operations Vice President – Fire Claims. “The collaboration between State Farm and American Red Cross on Pledge to Prepare will help spread awareness about steps to diminish the impact of a home fire. It’s another way we are helping communities prepare for the unexpected.”
Please join us by taking the pledge to keep you and your loved ones safe! For additional details, visit: https://newsroom.statefarm.com/state-farm-and-american-red-cross-team-up-for-home-fire-safety/