If you work from home or in an office, you know that a comfortable desk means a lot. It takes care of your health and the efficiency of your work. Thus, choosing a perfect desk with the most suitable table top is crucial.
Yes, not all desks are the same. Tabletops also differ one from another greatly. Therefore, we will check now how to select the best option for your office.
Start with the Right Tabletop
On the tabletop depends whether your table is going to fit in the dedicated space at all and whether you are going to enjoy your work. Thus, pay attention to every single detail when choosing a tabletop.
Material from which the tabletop is made.
You can find options made from natural wood, MDF, and even plastic. They all have their pros and cons.
- Natural wood looks nice and if treated properly, it is quite resistant to scratches and other influences. However, for a standing desk, it might be too heavy. Of course, you can opt for a more powerful lifting system but such a desk is going to cost a fortune.
- Plastic is also quite resistant to scratches, cold, heat, water, etc. However, even the best plastic table looks like a plastic table. We believe it might be ok for your patio, for the playroom of your kids, but not for an office.
- The majority of desk table tops are made from MDF. This material is more lightweight than wood but it looks as nice as natural wood does. When treated properly, it is resistant to scratches, water, heat. MDF allows making a table top in any colour a client might wish. Also, it is pretty lightweight which allows it to be used with lifting systems. A standing desk with a table top made from MDF is cheaper than the one with a table top made from wood. Its functionality is higher, and the look isn’t worse at all.
Now, when we have checked the table top options, let us have a look at other details that also contribute significantly to the nice look and comfort of your working place.
- The shape of your table top: if your office is big, you might choose the table top based on your personal criteria such as décor, interior, etc. But if the space is scarce, the table top shape and size are important. For example, you might prefer an L-shaped desk instead of a traditional one. Measure carefully the place where the desk shall fit and choose the table top accordingly. If you don’t find the right option, consider ordering or making a custom table top.
- The table top size: this criterion is pretty simple. Your table top shall fit in the space where it belongs to.
Choose a Proper Lifting System
A lifting system is another important component that makes your desk work. If you don’t buy a ready desk but prefer to build one, you shall choose the lifting system very carefully. Double-check the following parameters, and if you have any doubt, contact a representative of the company from which you are going to purchase the components:
- The lifting power: simply put, it depends on this value whether your desk will function. If you choose a heavy table top and add several monitors or loads of other equipment, the lifting system might not be able to handle the weight and thus, will not lift the table top. Consider that the weight is not static. The system will be handling it in movement. If you don’t know how to calculate the dynamic weight, ask a representative of the table lift manufacturer.
- The stroke length: whether you are working in a sitting or in a standing position, the system shall be able to lift and lower the table top at a height that is optimal to work. For example, in both positions, the monitor screen shall be located at the level of your eyes. Feet shall rest on the floor. Elbows shall be bent at a 90-degree angle. There are many more requirements, and they all shall be considered.
While these requirements to your desk are mandatory to be able to use it, there are requirements that are important for some users only. For example, if your office is arranged in warm light tones, we doubt that you would purchase a desk in a contrasting colour. The same applies to the table top shape or size. While it is important to choose the furniture piece that fits, every client will have his/her own requirements.
The main idea is to select a furniture piece that will be functional and beautiful. Your working place shall be comfortable to take proper care of your health. Also, it shall be nice and match the surrounding of your office.