You may have heard of the term ‘white glove logistics’ and figure it must be something that has a technical aspect to it and you would be correct in that assumption. Specifically, white glove logistics is the transportation, positioning, installing and configuring of technical equipment and this specialist service is required by many industries.
Range of Specific Services
Take a leading UK company such as Rhenus High Tech as an example; this established provider offers the following services:
- Data Centre Relocation, Installation and Removal – If you need to relocate your data centre, the white glove logistics provider has you covered, while they also handle a new build or a removal of an aging system that needs replacing.
- ATM & Banking Equipment – The white glove team transport, install and repair ATMs and other finance-related technical equipment, indeed, every UK bank would have a standing contract with such a company to maintain all of the ATMs nationwide and with new Bitcoin ATMs on the way, these would also be the domain of the white glove technicians. Click here for tips on avoiding stress when studying, which might be useful to your kids.
- Final Mile Delivery – When a large and very expensive piece of technical equipment needs to be positioned and installed, the white glove team would take delivery of the equipment close to the site, then would manoeuvre the equipment into place, before securing it. Once secured, the team set about the configuration and will also carry out pre-testing before bringing the equipment online. Imagine having to install a huge commercial generator or a complex MRI scanner unit? The project requires careful planning and the manufacturer would only permit qualified technicians to handle the equipment, while there are always obstacles like narrow doorways and different floor levels that the team must negotiate.
- IT Hardware – The white glove logistics provider is often tasked with replacing a company’s IT hardware, which might involve visiting many offices in the UK, replacing the equipment and disposing of the old hardware responsibly. The technicians are able to create LAN systems and bring all the new equipment online and will even train staff on how to use the equipment. While on the topic of IT, here is some UK government information on cyber-security.
- Reverse Logistics – This is required when equipment that has already been installed malfunctions and the issue cannot be dealt with on-site, and the white glove team will remove the equipment and take it to the requested destination, which is usually the manufacturer’s facility. This might involve installing a replacement machine and when the repairs are complete, they might have to replace the equipment one more time.
- Telecommunications – Stock markets and other trading platforms require high-speed fibre-optic connections and this is also the domain of the white glove technicians. Of course, with this type of trading, security is paramount and the white glove team would be fully approved to work with such systems.
Digital signage and vending machines are another sector that the white glove team covers and state of the art fitness equipment is installed by these specialists. If you should ever require white glove logistics, a Google search will put you in touch with a leading company, who would be happy to help.