In today’s uncertain world filled with negativity and hardship, we can all use a little help. Working with crystals and gemstones, like Agate, is one method to deal with tumult in an effective and healthy way.
Modern discoveries from France, Greece and Australia date Agate’s use and existence as far back as 3½ billion years ago. This timeless stone comprises chalcedony and quartz, formed by preexisting metamorphic and volcanic rocks. Silicon Dioxide composes Agate’s unique chemistry.
It’s a hard stone, ranging between seven and nine on the Mohs scale. This makes Agate ideal for jewelry and home décor. It’s so hard that sculpted mortar and pestles are effective for grinding herbs, flowers and plants.
Agate comes in a range of colors and types with many having markings or variegated bands. But some types do not have any markings at all.
Ancient cultures valued Agate stone. Some legends tell us it can make one invisible with protection from scorpion stings and snakebites. It has a long-standing use in calming the mind, preventing disease and bringing victory over enemies. Other legends say Agate plays a role in memory improvement, increased stamina and encouraging honesty.
The Babylonians used it as a talisman against evil. The Egyptians believed it protects from lightning, gives power to speech and quenches thirst. Persian magicians applied it to divert and quiet thunderstorms.
The ancient Chinese used it to purify and energize ethereal bodies as well as a luck charm. In Medieval times, people tied them to oxen horns in the hope of a plentiful harvest. Some Islamic traditions believe it guards against evil and tragedy.
Today people believe that Agate can discern truth, develop acceptance of circumstances and heal negative emotions. Agate has a calming influence, improves perception, increases concentration and helps to develop critical thinking skills.
It prevents insomnia and induces pleasant dreams. Agate enhances courage with the potential to stabilize and balance aural fields, smoothing out dysfunctional energies.
It’s known to strengthen sight, develop precision and remove negativity The cleansing activity works to awaken inherent talents and adroitness, allowing for self-examination bringing one to a state of complete well-being.
Agate promotes marital fidelity and is an excellent gift for 12th and 14th wedding anniversaries. Give it as a gift for September birthdays or people born under the zodiacal sign of Gemini.
The wide range of individual Agate types reveals various colors and markings with their own powers and purposes. This is a small list of some of the most popular types:
- Angel Wing – diminishes distractions and opens spiritual communication
- Blue Lace – promotes cohesion and adds graceful charisma
- Black – grounds and centers for peace and healing after turmoil
- Flame – renews passion and enhances physical vitality
- Holly Blue – facilitates spiritual and psychic actualization
- Iris – promotes receptivity to truth and intuition
- Laguna – increases flexibility and decreases shallowness
- Lake Superior – elevates personal worth and self-confidence
- Mexican Lace – enhances physical prowess and laughter
- Moss – gives strength and sight to all beauty
- Ocean Spray – enhances emotional and mental flexibility
- Purple Sage – encourages self-love and heightens sensitivity
- Regency Rose – brings dignity and lessens embarrassment
- Snakeskin – promotes joy and cheerfulness
Using Agate during moments of difficulty and confusion can help to calm the mind and bring balance. It’s timelessness and agelessness provides comfort, strength and protection while wading through the sea of deception that defines our times. Having a piece resting in your home or wearing Agate jewelry will help lift your mood and clear away negativity.