The Southwest Florida Water Management District (District) awarded $97,640.28 in grants to 43 educators within the District as part of the Splash! school grant program. The program provides up to $3,000 per school to enhance student knowledge of freshwater resources in grades K-12.
Splash! grants encourage hands-on student learning through STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) activities as well as engagement of the greater school community through awareness campaigns. Each school district allocates a portion of their annual youth education funding provided by the District to support the Splash! grants in their county.
The District awarded grants to the following schools/teachers in Hillsborough County:
• Bailey Elementary School – Roland Jackson
• Bryan Elementary School – Karen Beck
• Dr. Carter G. Woodson PK-8 School – Tekila Lindsay
• Davis Elementary School – Terri Stevens
• East Bay High School – Michelle Laycock
• Excelsior Prep Charter School of Tampa – Debra Gwyn
• Heritage Elementary School – Jean Josephson
• King High School – Sonia Coleman
• Riverview Elementary School – Judy Der
• Sickles High School – Brooke Brammer
• Tampa Heights Elementary Magnet School – Krystal Greenberg
• Terrace Community Middle School – Elizabeth Mila
• Warren Hope Dawson Elementary School – Pamela Vasquez
• Wilson Middle School – Kenneth Coogan
Grants are available for freshwater resources field studies, water-conserving garden projects, community or school awareness campaigns and on-site workshops. Last year’s Splash! grants brought water resources education to 5,478 students throughout the District. For more information, please visit the District’s website at WaterMatters.org/SchoolGrants.