SARASOTA COUNTY – Most Sarasota County Government offices, including the Administration Center, 1660 Ringling Blvd., and the Florida Department of Health in Sarasota County will be closed Monday, Sept. 7, in observance of Labor Day. All Sarasota County libraries, Historical Resources and recreation centers will be closed Sept. 7, and Sarasota County Area Transit will not operate that day. However, the Siesta Key Breeze will operate Sept. 7 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. on a regular Monday schedule.
The UF/IFAS Extension Sarasota County offices will also be closed for the holiday. All solid waste facilities will be closed for the holiday, including the Central County Landfill, 4000 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis; the Citizen’s Convenience Center, 4010 Knights Trail Road, Nokomis; and the Chemical Collection Centers, 250 S. Jackson Road, Venice and 8750 Bee Ridge Road, Sarasota. All trash, recycling and yard waste collection services will be delayed by one day due to the holiday. Curbside collection will run as follows:
- Monday, Sept. 7: No collection services.
- Tuesday, Sept. 8: Collection for Monday customers.
- Wednesday, Sept. 9: Collection for Tuesday customers.
- Thursday, Sept. 10: Collection for Wednesday customers.
- Friday, Sept. 11: Collection for Thursday customers.
- Saturday, Sept. 12: Collection for Friday customers.
On Saturday, Sept. 12, the landfill will remain open until 5 p.m. due to the holiday collection schedule, however the Construction and Demolition area will close at 2 p.m. Customers unloading by hand must arrive at least 30 minutes prior to closing.
BEACH, WATER AND GRILLING SAFETY REMINDERS
- Pack In, Pack Out: Don’t leave anything behind when visiting Sarasota County parks and beaches. Pack up or properly dispose of everything you bring with you.
- Interview footage with county staff on Pack In, Pack Out and b-roll can be found here.
- Beachgoers are reminded to swim near a lifeguard, review beach warning flags and beach conditions posted on lifeguard stands, stay hydrated, regularly apply sunscreen, swim with children and know your comfort level.
- Grills should be cleaned, stable and checked for propane leaks before using.
- Grill should be kept away from buildings, structures, lawn games and other foot traffic areas.
- Keep children and pets at least three feet away from the grill and hot surfaces.
- Attend the grill at ALL times.
- Pool safety
- Keep an eye on children at all times. If a child is missing, check the pool first.
- Keep a charged cell phone readily available.
- Have a throw ring, pole or other lifesaving equipment available.
For more information, call the Sarasota County Contact Center at 941-861-5000 or visit www.scgov.net.
Sarasota County prohibits discrimination in all services, programs or activities. View the complete policy at www.scgov.net.