To get the most out of your restaurant equipment and ensure its longevity avoiding failure, regular maintenance is the key to performance and efficiency boosting. These practices include appropriate washing and cleaning, ensuring proper operation, replacing worn parts that can become a place for bacteria to spread, which is unacceptable for businesses in the foodservice industry. As with all types of furniture, stainless steel restaurant equipment needs competent caring. Stainless steel, requiring little or no maintenance, still should be free from dirt, food marks, or stains to avoid rusting.
Here are three deleterious impacts the kitchen staff should manage right away, as they that can damage the protective layer and lead to corrosion:
- food debris, accidental spills, hard water may ruin the surface integrity;
- wrong cleaning tools like steel wool can scratch the equipment;
- chlorine can create a corrosive film that destroys stainless steel.
Knowing the most dangerous enemies of your stainless steel table, shelving, appliances, you can easily deal with them adhering simple guidance:
- regular caring is a must-have, as it is easier to constantly wipe and clean equipment than due to improper approach waste money, time, and efforts to remove old dirt;
- wipe the countertops and meal prep surfaces daily with a soft damp cloth and mild detergent to eliminate food scraps;
- to deal with more difficult dirt and stains, apply baking soda and water;
- use only microfiber, sponges, or a soft cloth;
- be sure to dry the equipment to avoid the impact of hard water;
- apply solutions that contain ammonia, as it is safe for stainless steel;
- using ammonia is an efficient way to keep the surface clean, but don’t ignore its thorough drying to prevent equipment hazing;
- consider using metal polish paste to enhance the appearance, produce shine, remove tarnish, scratches, and oxidation, leaving a coating for stainless steel protection from scratches, damages, and dirt.
Signs that stainless steel restaurant equipment worth your investments
Regardless of whether you want to launch a new food establishment, update your existing commercial kitchen, or look for a solid equipment solution for private use, investing in durable stainless steel restaurant equipment is a wise and payback strategy. Stainless steel, having an endless list of advantages, will definitely meet your commercial or private needs. Here are the top three most valuable pros:
material versatility: due to its features like heat and fire resistance and the ability to withstand corrosion and effect of chemicals contained in cleansers, stainless steel is the most versatile material used for many purposes.
product strength and impact resistance: because of enormous mechanical impacts and strong effect of a variety of influences, restaurant equipment can deteriorate. For example, household appliances and kitchen utensils can damage the working tabletop. However, it is not the case for stainless steel. Thus, it is suitable for different working environments, withstanding a range of temperatures and high humidity. Moreover, apart from sturdiness, it is the aesthetically pleasing and good-looking type of equipment.
eco-friendliness and compliance with sanitary standards: recyclability is the main cause of why responsible businesses choose this sustainable material. It is green and non-toxic. And compared to wooden options, there is no possibility of holes or cracks forming. It prevents fungus and mildew accumulation, absorbing unpleasant odors, the growth of harmful bacteria.
How else it is possible to promote food safety and cleanliness in your restaurant?
In addition to tips that will help extend the lifespan of your stainless steel restaurant equipment,there are general rules for ensuring that your restaurant runs smoothly.
Kitchen staff training on hygiene rules and regulations:
The main causes of restaurant equipment failure during operation are the wrong and neglective attitude of kitchen employees when it comes to compliance with cleaning advice and hygiene standard. Thus, take care that your staff is well-trained, properly informed, and knowledgeable on how to maintain stainless steel equipment. It will save your budget and speed up food prep processes.
Kitchen equipment cleaning schedule:
Without regular daily, weekly, and deep monthly and annually cleaning activities, it is impossible to provide a secure environment and food safety. To stay organized, it would be useful to have a checklist of cleaning tasks including step-by-step instructions and recommendations to easily handle such a challenge as keeping your commercial kitchen safe and lengthen the life of your equipment.