Do you love both fishing and paddleboarding? Why not combine the two and enjoy the benefits of working out and getting some protein afterwards? Research indicates that paddleboarding exercises many parts of your body than any other sport. Follow the steps below to learn paddle boarding from scratch.
The history of paddleboarding
Before the year 1939 people were not standing up on paddleboards. Then in the year 1940 Duke Kahanamoku and Leroy began to paddleboard. They stood whenever the swells were not large enough and this is how SUP was invented. It was later on taught in diving classes as an alternative way to surf when waves were not big enough.
Paddleboard fishing is easy to learn. Statistics carried out in 2019 indicated that paddleboarding was the outdoor game preferred by many first-timers. I will share 7 tips to get you started with paddleboard fishing. If you have no experiences with fishing, then do not worry because I will be showing you how. I will also be explaining how to stand up on your paddleboard and fish if you are yet to be a pro.
What is a stand-up Paddle Board?
A stand-up paddleboard is a bit different from the surfing boards. It is wider and larger to offer more stability. Your chances of falling from a sup board are very low, and always remember to choose a bigger one if you are a first-timer.
Choose the right paddleboard
Choosing the wrong SUP will make learning paddle boarding challenging. There are many stand up paddleboards that are specifically designed for beginners. Boards such as All around SUPS are designed to facilitate easy surfing on the water. You should learn the basics of stand up on still waters as it will be easier. Visit sup for beginners-guide to learn about the specific size for beginners.
How to stand up on a paddleboard if you are a beginner
You should start on calm water. Stand on your large SUP of over 11 feet length. Stand up on your board carefully while maintaining your balance. If this fails do not give up try with a larger board. Many people do not get it the first time so keep on practising until you can balance on the paddleboard. Once you get this part right, you can start getting your dinner while still enjoying your sport and the peaceful nature. Follow the steps below to stand on a board and fish efficiently.
• the paddleboard in the water where it does not touch the bottom
• on your knees and take a few strokes on the sides of the board
• on one foot in the middle of the board slowly
• the other knee slightly and apart from the other one at a shoulder length. If you do not succeed try again a few more times until you can do it.
What to do and what not to do while paddleboarding.
There are a few things you should do to enhance your technique just make sure you follow them to the latter.
• hold the oar with both hands, one hand should hold the handle and the other one should hold the board’s shaft.
• hold the paddle with both hands like a broomstick. This increases your chance of falling since you can easily lose balance on the paddleboard.
• not start SUP paddle boarding on a surf stance. This should be left for the pros who have some experience in paddleboarding.
• both your arms and also some muscles on your back to paddle your board for a long duration of time.
Get the necessary paddleboard equipment.
To be on the same side, ensure you have this necessary equipment to be on the safe side. These equipment include;
• stand up paddle should be at least 6-10 inches in height above the paddle.
• the leash is a Velcro strap that you can tie around your ankle to attach the paddleboard to you.
• board life vest- You are required to have a personal flotation device in case things go sour. In some parts, it is a requirement for each SUP to have a paddleboard life vest when they are on the water.
• SUP bags bring convenience to this whole experience. They help with the transportation of your board and any other boarding related tools.
Choose the right to SUP for fishing.
Your new board should be large enough with room for carrying your fishing tools and also some space to put your fish after you catch them. Look for other additional fishing tools from your paddleboard of choice. Such tools include fishing rod holders, a carry bag and pump, independent chambers, paddle holder and an elastic bungee cord for cargo securing.
There are some great recommendations for fishing stand up paddleboards here that can be had for very reasonable prices.
Remember to carry a cast net and bait
Mastering the art of casting your fishing net from a paddleboard is easy if you have mastered standing on the SUP. You should carry a fishing net of around five feet if you are a beginner. Make sure you carry some bait along or else the fish will not come to you.
Coordinating your entry and exit points
If you are new choose an entrance with calm waters and also exit from a similar position on the water body. Remember that for any sporting activity you should ensure safety first before something goes wrong and you find yourself in trouble. Hit some of these popular fly fishing destinations to get started.
If you follow the tips above keenly, you will become a pro in stand up paddleboarding within no time. You must follow all the tips above to prevent any accidents or harm during sup fishing. If you have a question or a comment, please share it below in our comments section. Share this post with friends and let us all enjoy a sport that comes with a hefty protein meal.