Whether you are planning a relaxing family holiday, an action-packed trip with friends or even a solo trip intended for indulgence in local culture and cuisine, you should definitely look into visiting this stunning and diverse European country.
With between 166-227 inhabited islands, including the most popular destinations such as Crete, Corfu, Kefalonia and Zakynthos, your only issue will be deciding which island to explore first.
That being said, if you do need a bit more convincing before booking your next holiday, keep reading to discover the top 9 reasons why you should visit Greece in 2020.
1. The Accommodation is Amazing
After choosing your preferred destination for your holiday, the next most important factor for most people is the accommodation. Thankfully, Greece hits the nail on the head with their offerings of a wide range of options to suit all budgets.
That being said, Villas in Greece could be your best choice, with the benefits being overwhelming:
- More flexibility than a hotel
- Better value — especially for groups of 4 or more
- Luxurious interiors and surroundings
- Increased comfort — like a home from home
- More secluded, therefore more privacy
- Safer than a hotel
2. It’s a Foodie’s Fairyland
If the local cuisine on offer is a key factor in deciding where you choose to spend your annual holiday, then look no further than Greece.
Although all the islands offer amazing fresh local food and drink, some of the best islands for true foodies include:
- Crete. Known for its fabulously fresh produce and its bougatsa — filo pastry filled with semolina custard.
- Santorini. Not just for honeymooners, Santorini produces some amazing fresh fruit and vegetables including white aubergine, capers and their famous Santorini tomatoes.
- Kefalonia. Arguably the best wine region in Greece, they grow three different kinds: Robola, White Muscat and Mavrodaphne.
3. There are a Wide Range of Attractions & Festivals Taking Place
Greece is an incredibly culturally rich country which is saturated in tradition and history, making it the ideal destination for those who love to explore and learn about another country.
When it comes to festivals, the Greeks normally celebrate in three parts: religion, entertainment and commercial (where people can purchase goods relating to the festival).
When choosing an island to visit, it can be a good idea to know what each one has to offer:
Corfu — known for literature, theatre, music and architecture. Do not miss the Byzantine churches.
Rhodes — famous for being home to the Colossus of Rhodes, one of the Seven Wonders of the World, the Old Town has also been named as a Word Heritage Site.
Lefkas — some of their main religious festivals on this island include Of Agii Apostoli in Fryni, Of Agia Kyriaki in Vlyho and Of Agia Marina in Vafkeri.
Paxos — if you choose Paxos for your Greek holiday, you should visit the Agios Nikolaos Castle which can be found on the small island of its namesake.
Other Key Reasons to Go to Greece Include:
- Breathtaking landscapes — Rhodes has an array of captivating coves.
- An exciting and vibrant nightlife with Mykonos and Crete being the most lively.
- Extensive coastline with Santorini having arguably the most beautiful beaches
- Sunshine throughout the year.
- Adventure activities for those who seek a thrill including base jumping in Zakynthos.
- Affordability — a holiday in Greece can be much more cost effective than other European destinations.