This year, cutting-edge technologies became accessible to almost everyone. In fact, the number of devices connected to the Internet exceeded the number of their users.
Let’s look back at this year’s application development trends and what’s to come in 2020. You hear a lot of buzzwords: Blockchain, AI, ML, AR/VR, RPA, IoT & Wearable, Clouds, Big Data. You may think these are things to focus on when developing new apps. But you should ask yourself: are these ready and useful for your business?
Software and Hardware are Changing
People are spending way more time surfing the Internet using their computer/smartphone/tablet than with their families. Among the devices, the smartphone wins because it’s the most compact.
Today, the digital power of smartphones already beat 2012 PCs and remains widespread. According to recent Statista research, global mobile applications are predicted to generate an income of $188.9 billion through app stores and in-app advertising.
Since Internet connectivity is just about everywhere, it is clear that technology is about to transform mobility forever. Technology has revolutionized the way companies conduct business by enabling small businesses to level the playing field.
The functionality of mobile apps concerning data security, speed, 3D gaming, augmented reality has been enhanced. And what happens with the user’s experience with the devices? Let’s take a look at this angle.
How do people interact with software and the internet today?
The fast-paced world has become even faster, with the smartphone becoming the number one device for connectivity. It has morphed into an all-in-one watch, newspaper, calculator, camera, camcorder, speedometer, compass, GPS navigation system, a library, record player, and work computer.
With networks being enhanced every day and the arrival of 5G, your entire life can fit in the mobile phone because you carry it with you everywhere.
For this reason, mobile traffic is overtaking the web traffic, which leads to more and more data being collected, processed, and analyzed.
Smartphones have a small screen area, which is very important for both user output and input that fosters competition for user attention between apps, information sources, entertainment, etc.
What are the latest usability trends?
The development of smartphones as the primary source for user interaction with the network has led to further development technologies, new approaches in design, and most importantly – a new approach to usability.
As far as usability, UI/UX are concerned, there is a trend towards:
- Personalization and Simplification – a user-centered design, using personas to characterizes specific segments of the target audience.
- Almost Real-Time –people want to get information or perform an action in less than 30 seconds – take Instagram, for example.
- Motion UI – allows you to interact with the machine at a sentimental level reinforcing spatial relations, confirming actions, hiding perceived latency, and creating an overall personality.
- High-performing and secure – people wait 3 seconds, so your app’s performance should be excellent and users want to know that their personal data is protected – security builds trust.
According to Gartner, over $124 billion is expected to be spent on information protection for 2019. This is 8.7% more than last year’s global security budget.
What are the latest mobile development trends?
Progressive Web Apps (PWA)
- Combines features offered by most modern browsers with the benefits of mobile experience.
- Can be installed on the phone autonomously without using Apple Store or Google Play.
- Fast loading and works offline.
- Smooth animation and seamless navigation.
Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Improved user experience with a much faster load process.
- Pages highlight only important content.
- Mobile-friendly display – images, videos or animations will show up exactly where you need them.
- Aggregates demand for a product or services online.
- Directly interacts with the user.
- Helps in monetizing assets, skills and time.
- Meets needs instantaneously anywhere.
- Boosts chances of target action to be performed by users.
- Allows users to test the basic functionality of the application without installing it on the device.
- Needs minimum resources to implement so they are more user-friendly.
- Offers an enhanced UX with animation and personalized interface.
The development of modern and easy-to-use persona apps, using cutting-edge technologies, and high-quality graphic design enhances the way businesses interact with their customers and users.
As a vendor, NIX can attest that this is the current trend in dozens of projects we do. We recommend that you jump on the bandwagon and improve the UX and UI of your applications using modern tech platforms. And buzzwords will become useful only when this part is already done.