Hudson, Florida (May 28, 2019) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point announces that it has awarded $250 each as a prize to students of River Ridge High School and Fivay High School in this year’s recent Battle of the Belts. River Ridge High School achieved the highest overall seatbelt use while driving. Fivay High School achieved the greatest increase in seatbelt use.
“Battle of the Belts promotes seatbelt use among teens. Motor vehicle crashes are the leading cause of death for American teenagers. In fact, when it comes to motor vehicle crashes, teens have the highest fatality rate of any age group. They also have the lowest safety belt use rates of all drivers. This rate is even lower when there are multiple teens in the vehicle. The ‘Battle of the Belts’ program was initiated to change these statistics and increase patient safety use among the teenagers with our partners Safe Kids of Pasco County,” said Isabella Discepolo, Injury Prevention/Outreach Trauma Coordinator for Bayonet Point.
The goal of this year’s campaign was to have high school students convince their peers to always use their safety belts. Student organizations were asked to create a unique campaign for their high school to encourage fellow students to wear their seatbelts during every ride in a motor vehicle. There were several award categories such as highest seatbelt use, most improved seatbelt use, best school campaign, best public service announcement, best poster, and best essay. The Trauma Center at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point sponsored the prizes for the most improved seatbelt use by Fivay High School and for the highest seatbelt use by River Ridge.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL. We have more than 300 physicians, 1,264 employees and 400 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
· Level II Trauma Center
· Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Named among the top 5% in the nation for Patient Safety in 2017 and 2018 by Healthgrades
· Joint Commission Accreditation, Primary Stroke Center and Sepsis Certifications
· Healthgrades Multi-Award Recipient
- Five Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 13 years in a row (2005-2017)
- Five Star Recipient for Back Surgery eight years in a row (2010 – 2017)
- Five Star Recipient for Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm for two years in a row (2016 – 2017)
- Recipient of Healthgrades 2017 and 2018 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
- Five Star Recipient for Appendectomy for three years in a row (2015 – 2017)
· American College of Radiology accredited – MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine
· Accredited Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons
· Accredited Teaching Facility by the American Osteopathic Association, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education