Hudson, Florida (April 24, 2019) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has earned two 2018 Unit of Distinction (UOD) Awards in an annual program that recognizes and rewards exemplary nursing units at HCA Healthcare facilities.
During 2018, approximately 1,200 HCA Healthcare nursing units participated in the program. The following two units earned distinction as UODs:
- Neuro/Spine & Orthopaedics under the direction of Marjorie Freeman, RN, BSN, CMSRN (Certified Medical/Surgical Registered Nurse)
- Trauma Stepdown Unit under the direction of Susan Cooper, MSN, BSN, RN-BC (Registered Nurse Board Certified).
Using specific criteria, nursing units are evaluated and scored based on performance. Recipients of the 2018 Unit of Distinction honor are considered to be in the top 5 percent of all HCA Healthcare medical-surgical, critical care, emergency services and surgical services nursing units. In addition to the UOD recipients, 67 additional units achieved scores ranking them within the Top 6 percent to 10 percent of all HCA Healthcare units, earning each an “Honorable Mention” designation.
An important component of the program is HCA Healthcare’s sponsorship of nurses to obtain national certification through programs accredited by the American Board of Nursing Specialties. This year, more than 2,600 HCA Healthcare-affiliated nurses expanded their professional knowledge and advanced their individual and professional skills to earn certification.
“The Unit of Distinction Award recognizes and celebrates excellence in nursing and acknowledges that it takes a high-performing team of nurses demonstrating a high level of commitment to achieve results like these,” said Jane D. Englebright, PhD, RN, CENP, FAAN, HCA Chief Nurse Executive and Senior Vice President.
“To have two nursing units in the top 10% of all the HCA units in the country is indeed a testament to the quality of care provided to our community by Bayonet Point Hospital,” said Sharon Hayes, CEO.
“I am thrilled to have two of our units be recognized for all their hard work. The HCA Unit of Distinction is a very prestigious competitive program, and this is the first time Bayonet Point has had any units recognized. We are honored to have been included,” said Melanie Wetmore, Bayonet Point Chief Nursing Officer.
Photos: Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point’s Units of Distinction
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL. We have more than 300 physicians, 1,264 employees and 400 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
· Level II Trauma Center
· Comprehensive Stroke Center
· Named among the top 5% in the nation for Patient Safety in 2017 and 2018 by Healthgrades
· Joint Commission Accreditation, Primary Stroke Center and Sepsis Certifications
· Healthgrades Multi-Award Recipient
o Five Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 13 years in a row (2005-2017)
o Five Star Recipient for Back Surgery eight years in a row (2010 – 2017)
o Five Star Recipient for Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm for two years in a row (2016 – 2017)
o Recipient of Healthgrades 2017 and 2018 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
o Five Star Recipient for Appendectomy for three years in a row (2015 – 2017)
· American College of Radiology accredited – MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine
· Accredited Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons
· Accredited Teaching Facility by the American Osteopathic Association, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education