Memory care is a precious but often overlooked aspect of the human experience. Senior Lifestyle’s Sheridan at Lakewood Ranch, 11705 Evening Walk Drive, is one of the nation’s premier senior residential communities. Memory care is of profound importance: It’s something to be nurtured, explored, coveted and preserved. Through Senior Lifestyle’s innovative embrace Program, memory care takes on a wholly new dimension and forms the core of a unique approach to treating residents experiencing the beginning stages of memory loss and dementia.
“The foundation of our embrace Program is to support residents living with memory loss or dementia,” explains Cathleen O’Brien, Divisional Director of Memory Care and Programming for Senior Lifestyle. “We support each resident’s life history and reinforce what they are capable of doing while living a fulfilling life. Just because a resident has memory loss or dementia doesn’t mean they have to stop living a vibrant life.”
“The embrace Program is built around six ‘pillars’ with the focus on each resident’s personal well-being,” adds Ms. O’Brien. “The thrust is on residents enjoying a familiar daily rhythm that’s meaningful and active; building relationships is key. Each pillar is a Signature Program addressing crucial resident and family needs.”
Pillars and their Signature Programs include:
• Wellness (Essence: A multi-sensory aromatherapy program)
• Challenge (Spark: Promotes engagement, cognitive stimulation and connection)
• Connection (Snapshots: Connection kits that support family visits along with a survey to families asking them what support, education, counseling residents may need)
• Creativity (Bookmarks: A literature program for older adults with dementia)
• Enrichment (Thymeless: Garden to table — tending to the garden and harvesting the produce they grow)
Instituted at dozens of Senior Lifestyle communities across the United States, the embrace Program was developed through using best practices combined with the latest research and strategic partnerships with dementia care experts. The Program “Is rooted in the understanding that when memories fade, it’s the moments that matter,” according to Senior Lifestyle.
For more information on the embrace Program at Senior Lifestyle