Florida Peninsula Insurance Company and its wholly owned subsidiary, Edison Insurance Company, are ready to assist Florida policyholders as we prepare for the arrival of Hurricane Michael.
Some counties have already experienced above average rainfall this year, making this storm especially dangerous to areas with saturated ground. Everyone in our state, particularly those in the Panhandle region, should stay informed of the latest storm track and expected weather conditions in their area by listening to local forecasters or visiting sites like the Weather Channel.
As Floridians prepare for Michael’s arrival, Florida Peninsula and Edison offer the following safety tips and information:
• Make an emergency kit for your family and keep it in a place where it’s easily accessible. Include a first aid kit, battery-powered radio, flashlight and batteries, whistle, local maps, water, and cash. Include a copy of your homeowner’s insurance policy and laminate it to avoid water damage. You can also include extra items to keep your family comfortable such as your favorite snacks, or a battery-powered TV.
• Keep a supply of food that does not need to be refrigerated. Canned goods – Don’t forget the can opener! – are good provided the expiration date is in the future.
• Consider purchasing large tarps in advance that can cover roof leaks and store them in your garage for after the storm, as an extra precaution.
• Make sure you have a fully charged smart phone, disposable camera or a camera with fresh batteries so you can document the damage. Hint: Take pictures now to show the home’s condition before the storm arrives. Once the storm does hit, you can better document the damage by sending before-and-after photos to your agent and the insurance company.
• Click here to view a video from Florida Peninsula with additional information – https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=hWtaYHU2aDc&t=5s
Even if you are not currently in the storm’s path, now is the time to prepare for the effects of Hurricane Michael and for the remainder of the 2018 Hurricane Season.
Florida Peninsula and Edison recommend that homeowners with storm damage contact their insurance company first in order to receive prompt resolution of their claim by arranging to have an insurance adjuster inspect and document the damage. The adjuster can also help bring in the necessary resources to make needed repairs and ensure the continued safety and well-being of families and property.
Policyholders who experience storm-related damage should contact Florida Peninsula or Edison right away at 866-549-9672, www.floridapeninsula.com/claims, or https://www.edisoninsurance.com/Claims.
After Hurricane Michael passes, storm victims should be wary of any third party (contractor, public adjuster or even an attorney) with contracts in hand promising to make repairs or represent your interest. Florida Peninsula and Edison urge homeowners to first speak to their insurance company or trusted insurance agent.
“As Michael nears our shores, our customers can rest assured that we will be there to help them once the storm passes,” said Clint Strauch, President of Florida Peninsula Insurance Company and Edison Insurance Company. “We hope everyone will take this storm seriously and take the proper precautions now while there is still time.”
At Florida Peninsula and Edison Insurance Companies, our number one priority is the safety and wellbeing of our customers. The companies provide homeowners with coverage-rich policies, as well as offering flood protection and partnering with independent agents throughout the state who can ensure policyholders have the coverage they need.
# # #
ABOUT FLORIDA PENINSULA INSURANCE COMPANY
Founded by a team of veteran insurance professionals, Florida Peninsula Insurance Company is one of Florida’s top 10 largest companies offering multi-peril homeowners and flood insurance. The company insures approximately 150,000 homes, condo and apartment units located throughout the state. Florida Peninsula markets through a network of 2,500 independent insurance agents. Our aim is to combine the latest technology with old-fashioned courtesy and customer service, providing efficient, cost-effective, peace-of-mind protection for our policyholders. Florida Peninsula was first issued a Certificate of Authority to do business in April 2005 by the Florida Office of Insurance Regulation. The company has maintained a Financial Stability Rating® of A-Exceptional from Demotech. For more information or to get a comparison quote, please call (877) 229-2244 or visit our website at www.floridapeninsula.com
ABOUT EDISON INSURANCE COMPANY
Founded in 2006, Edison, originally headquartered in St. Petersburg, Florida, was purchased by
Boca Raton-based Florida Peninsula Insurance Company (FPI) in January of 2010. The company shares the same seasoned management team and managing general agency (MGA) with Florida Peninsula Insurance Company. Edison has received a Financial Stability Rating® of A-Exceptional from Demotech. Edison does not plan to participate in the Citizens takeout program. Instead, the company will market its homeowners and condominium unit owners insurance through a select group of professional insurance agents. To learn more about Edison please visit our website at http://www.edisoninsurance.com.