Hudson, Florida (July 16, 2017) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point recently announced Scott Norwood, MD, was recognized as this year’s Frist Physician Humanitarian Award winner. In making the announcement, Bayonet Point CEO Sharon Hayes said, “HCA has a long tradition of recognizing those who embody the values and spirit of our culture. We celebrate and commend individuals for their achievements and contributions to their communities and our organization.”
The Frist Humanitarian Award was created in 1971 to honor individuals for their humanitarian and volunteer activities.
Named in honor of Dr. Thomas F. Frist, Sr., the Frist Humanitarian Award is the most prestigious honor and longest standing tradition within the HCA system. Dr. Frist was often heard saying, “Good people beget good people” about the quality of personnel that are associated with HCA. The Frist Award recognizes individuals whose daily dedication and care giving epitomize the highest standards of quality and personal commitment.
It is the highest honor HCA bestows on its most important resources, the physicians, employees, and volunteers.
A Frist award nominee is someone who has demonstrated remarkable concern for the welfare and happiness of patients, and who has demonstrated a high level of commitment to community service above and beyond expectations.
The nominee is judged on the following four categories:
- Level of commitment to the facility and patient care
- Level of commitment to the community
- Having a positive effect on others
- Dependability, consistency and people oriented
The physician receives a donation of $500 to the charity of his/her choice. He also receives a Frist lapel pin, a plaque, a beautiful large dish garden, and his picture on the display at the front entrance of the hospital.
Dr. Norwood was nominated for distinguishing himself as a true, authentic humanitarian through a lifetime of saving lives and alleviating suffering. In the trauma center he has a reputation for compassion and ever-improving care of the patients. He is known for his basic human respect and dignity and leading and showing this by example to all those around him.
Some of Dr. Norwood’s accomplishments are:
- Florida Medical Reserve Corps, Member
- Member, Advisory Board, LifeLink of Florida
- Pasco County Delegate to the Florida Medical Association
- Organ procurement/donor committee
- Regional Advisory council, Trauma Service Area G, State of Texas, Lifetime Achievement Award, which was presented to him on January 27, 2017.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL. We have more than 300 physicians, 1,264 employees and 400 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Comprehensive Stroke Center
- Joint Commission Accreditation, Primary Stroke Center and Sepsis Certifications
- Healthgrades Multi-Award Recipient
- Five Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 13 years in a row (2005-2017)
- Five Star Recipient for Back Surgery eight years in a row (2010 – 2017)
- Five Star Recipient for Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm for two years in a row (2016 – 2017)
- Recipient of Healthgrades 2017 and 2018 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
- Named among the top 5% in the nation for Patient Safety in 2017 and 2018
- Five Star Recipient for Appendectomy for three years in a row (2015 – 2017)
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
- Accredited Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons
- Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: sepsis
- Accredited Teaching Facility by the American Osteopathic Association, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.BayonetPointHospital.com or visit us on Facebook.