Spring Hill, Florida (May 24, 2018) – Oak Hill Hospital is proud to announce that it has expanded its Pediatric & Newborn Services to the community. Three board certified pediatricians have been added to Oak Hill Hospital’s emergency department from 11 am to 11 pm. The pediatricians will also cover inpatient pediatric patients, serving as pediatric hospitalists in the only fully dedicated pediatric wing in the area. Hospitalists will cover inpatient pediatrics and be available on call 24/7.
The three board certified pediatricians will work alongside board certified pediatric emergency nurses. They are:
- Amy Ryan, MD
- Anne Beressi, MD
- Nouhad Moussa, MD
In addition, Oak Hill Hospital has launched a Level I Newborn Nursery, partnering with Johns Hopkins All Children’s’ Hospital to provide neonatology services in the hospital’s newborn nursery (non-intensive care).
About the Oak Hill Hospital Pediatric ER
Oak Hill Hospital’s Pediatric ER offers family-centered care, which encourages parents to participate in their child’s care. The Pediatric ER is characterized by the fact that it is one of only a few hospitals in the nation to be staffed with 100% board certified emergency nurses. Whenever possible, the Pediatric ER will use “ouch-less” techniques when delivering care to reduce a child’s anxiety. These may include:
- Oral fluids instead of an IV when safe and appropriate
- Special numbing medicine on the child’s skin to reduce pain from a needle
- “Bundling tests” such as blood drawing and IV insertion, into one “stick”
- Sedative medications for more serious procedures, such as setting a broken bone
- All procedures are performed under the direct supervision of an emergency medicine physician
Another feature is the use of the eBroselow system, which confirms exact medication dosage based on factors including a child’s age and weight. Physically the Pediatric ER contains eight private rooms painted in colors such as “electric lime,” “lemon twist,” and “gutsy grape.” The child-friendly décor has a family-centered activity room with age appropriate activities for patients and family. Most importantly the Pediatric ER features a dedicated and secure waiting area. When needed, a four-bed pediatric inpatient unit is located right upstairs.
Oak Hill Hospital Now Accepts Transfers of Pediatric Patients with 24/7 Pediatric Hospitalists
Beginning in May, Oak Hill Hospital began accepting transfers of pediatric patients with 24/7 pediatric hospitalists. Transfers do not require an additional emergency visit. They can be transferred directly to the pediatric floor with a pediatric hospitalist. Below are the typical diagnoses that are accepted for transferred pediatric patients.
- Abdominal pain
- Asthma, pneumonia, RSV
- General observation
- Sepsis workup
- Strep throat
The expanded pediatric and newborn nursery feature the following:
- Board certified pediatricians and pediatric ER nurses
- Hernando’s only dedicated pediatric ER
- Child-sized equipment, gowns, IVs, airway management tools, and other medical necessities
- “Ouch-less” environment that addresses a child’s discomfort and anxiety
- The only nationally accredited emergency medicine residency training program in the area
- Board certified pediatricians available on-site daily to care for the children
- Nurses are board certified and have Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) and are Neonatal Resuscitation Program certified.
- Kid friendly menus and meals are comforting and healthy to help promote children’s wellness
- Advanced vein finding technology is offered to improve accuracy and reduce discomfort
- Secured Pediatric Suites designed for family stays with pull-out couches and recliners
- Disease specific care based on best practice guidelines and evidence-based medicine
- Safe and secure inpatient Level I Newborn Nursery
- Board certified neonatal nurse practitioners in collaboration with the Johns Hopkins All Children’s’ Hospital neonatologists are available to care for your baby
Visit the Oak Hill Hospital Newsroom for recent releases: www.OakHillHospital.com/About/Newsroom/
About Oak Hill Hospital:
Oak Hill Hospital has been serving the Nature Coast since 1984, is the area’s largest private employer with 280 beds, and is the largest medical facility in Hernando and Citrus Counties. The Facility offers Hernando County’s only comprehensive cardiovascular program, including an arrhythmia center and open-heart surgery. Oak Hill Hospital’s healthcare delivery team is comprised of over 500 physicians, 1,300 associates, and approximately 250 volunteers.
Oak Hill Hospital is an accredited teaching hospital with approval to train 65 residents in the Internal Medicine program, 24 residents in the Family Medicine program, 18 residents in the General Surgery program integrated with Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point, 18 residents in the Emergency Medicine program, 18 residents in the Anesthesia program, and 10 residents in the Transitional Year program.
The Maternity Suites at Oak Hill Hospital opened in 2016, offering advanced labor and delivery capabilities in a comfortable and family centered setting. In addition to the Graduate Medical Education Program, Oak Hill Hospital offers several unique programs in the area, including a 24/7 Critical Care Medicine Program staffed by Intensivists, and a Pediatric ER. Please visit our website for a comprehensive listing of all Oak Hill Hospital accreditations, awards, and distinctions.
The Hospital is located at 11375 Cortez Boulevard, Brooksville, FL; 1.9 miles east of US 19 on State Road 50. For more information about this release, please contact Richard W. Linkul, Director of Marketing, at 352-597-6383 or Richard.Linkul@HCAHealthcare.com. In Citrus County call 352-628-6441. For more information about Oak Hill Hospital, visit our website at OakHillHospital.com, or Like Us on Facebook.