LARGO, Fla. – On Monday, May 7, 2018, at St. Petersburg’s Mahaffey Theater, 18 finalists for The 2018 Walker’s Rising Stars Scholarship Competition, presented by Bill Edwards Presents, Inc., and sponsored by Kane’s Furniture and the Crown Automotive Group, will compete for more than $25,000 in scholarships and prizes. Since its inception 15 years ago, the program has given more than $750,000 in scholarships. The curtain will rise at 7 p.m. on the star-studded competition.
First, second and third place in Dance, Instrumental, Music, Stage Performance/Theater, Visual Arts and Vocal Music will receive $5,000, $2,000 and $1,000 scholarships respectively. The scholarships are sponsored by the program’s creator Dr. Jeffrey Walker and the Pinellas Education Foundation. The Culinary Arts Category scholarships are provided by the Ryan Wells Foundation and first, second and third place will receive $1,500, $1,000, $500 respectively.
The finalists and their categories are:
- Jordan Bearden – Senior at Northeast High
- Claire Ferrari – Senior at Tarpon Springs High
- Daisy Keene – Senior at Dixie Hollins High
- Sarah Eisenbaum – Senior at Gibbs High
- Kyla Feld – Senior at Osceola Fundamental High
- Isabelle Poole – Senior at St. Petersburg High
- David Mason – Senior at Gibbs High
- Tyler Sakow – Senior at Tarpon Springs High
- Selena Tian – Senior at Palm Harbor University High
- Jessica Fullerton – Senior at Palm Harbor University High
- Erin Murphy – Junior at Clearwater High
- Anthony Vazquez – Junior at Gibbs High
- Jordan Craven – Senior at Osceola Fundamental High
- Ciara Lambert – Senior at Osceola Fundamental High
- Alannee Noel – Junior at Gibbs High
- Sarah Duren – Junior at Palm Harbor University High
- Stephany Levi – Junior at East Lake High
- Leatric Reid – Senior at Gibbs High
General admission tickets to the show will be available at the door for $12 eachand can be purchased online ahead of time for $10 at http://tickets.themahaffey.com/single/SelectSeating.aspx?p=2929.
More than 200 juniors and seniors from Pinellas County public schools applied to compete in the seven-month process of auditions and adjudication. Sponsors for the event include: Bill Edwards Presents, Inc., Dr. Jeffrey Walker, Kane’s Furniture, Crown Automotive Group, Suncoast Credit Union, Clearwater Gas Systems, Humana and City of St. Petersburg.
About The Pinellas Education Foundation
The Pinellas Education Foundation is an independent, non-governmental not-for-profit established in 1986. The Foundation’s mission is to accelerate educational achievement for ALL students through the effective mobilization of innovation, relationships and resources. Well known Pinellas Education Foundation programs include: Enterprise Village, Finance Park, Future Plans, Take Stock in Children Scholarships and Fund A Classroom Grants. www.pinellaseducation.org