This fun, family-friendly and free event provides the public with a hands-on opportunity to learn about seagrass habitat up-close. Registered volunteers will take to the waters in and around Sarasota Bay to count and identify seagrass species, in an effort to collect data for Sarasota County’s Seagrass Monitoring Program. No previous experience is necessary, but registration is required.
The Seagrass Survey celebrates Sarasota County’s commitment to protecting its water resources and focuses on increasing awareness of the economic and environmental value of seagrass habitat.
- Volunteer sign-in: 7:30-8 a.m.
- On-site volunteer training: 8-9 a.m.
- Data collection: 9 a.m. to noon.
- Volunteer lunch: noon to 1 p.m.
- Free festival with nature-themed games, crafts and more: 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.