Registration for the fall and summer semester is open. See the following dates for details.
- Summer term begins: Monday, May 14
- Summer Express term begins: June 11
- Fall term begins: Monday, Aug. 13
- Fall Express term begins: Monday, Sept. 10
SPC has guaranteed scheduling, so no class will be canceled once it is posted. The last day to register for an online course for the regular summer session is Sunday, May 13 and for the regular fall session is Sunday, Aug. 12. Learn more here. (Photo attached)
Grand Opening Celebration for the Clearwater East Community Library at St. Petersburg College
More than 350 people attended the grand opening of the new Clearwater East Community Library at St. Petersburg College on Saturday, April 21. The new library is a joint partnership between SPC and the City of Clearwater and is located on the SPC Clearwater Campus. SPC Clearwater Provost Stan Vittetoe, SPC Board of Trustees Vice Chair Katherine Cole, Clearwater Mayor George N. Cretekos, members of the City Council, City Manager Bill Horne, and Clearwater Public Library System Director Jennifer Obermaier attended the ribbon-cutting ceremony. (photos attached, additional photos linked here)
Demystifying Meetups – a workshop for technology students
Experienced technology professionals describe meetups as the best way to build your network, learn about careers and discuss the latest trends in the field. Tampa Bay New Skills at Work will host Demystifying Meetups – A workshop for tech students from 5:30 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, May 8 at SPC EpiCenter, 13805 58th St. N, Clearwater. Hear from a panel of technology leaders including:
- Lemont Chambliss – Nextech
- Shaun Chung – ValPak
- Becky Hartman – Agile Thought
- Mathew Thomas – Malwarebytes
- Kenneth Dick – ValPak
This event is a partnership with JPMorgan Chase & Co., Tampa Bay Tech and St. Petersburg College. Learn more here.
SPC to Screen ‘A PLASTIC OCEAN’ Documentary
The grave threat posed by plastic waste to the world’s oceans – and the marine life within them – is the focus of a documentary film that will be screened by St. Petersburg College’s Institute for Strategic Policy Solutions. The film, “A Plastic Ocean,” and a follow-up discussion of the implications of toxic seas will be presented from 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. April 26 at the SPC Seminole Campus, 9200 113th Street N. The event is co-sponsored by the University of Florida IFAS Extension Service. Admission is free, but advance registration is requested at http://solutions.spcollege.edu.
‘The Value of Poetry’ Lunch and Learn Event
To honor National Poetry Month, St. Petersburg College will host “The Value of Poetry,” a lunch-and-learn event, from 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. on April 26 at the SPC Allstate Center, Desoto Room, 3200 34th St. S., St. Petersburg. The keynote speaker will be Florida’s Poet Laureate Dr. Peter Meinke, a national award-winning author of more than 20 books. Attendees will receive a poem to share on social media using #pocketpoem. For more information, contact Cathi MacKay at 727-341-4486.
Upcoming Drone Certification and Manufacturing Training at SPC’s Workforce Institute
The Workforce Institute at St. Petersburg College will be offering the following courses in Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and Manufacturing in May.
- Four-week UAS Remote Pilot (Drone) Certificate Prep Course on May 3- 24, 2018 (class held on four consecutive Thursdays) 6-8:30 p.m., SPC Downtown Center, Room 356, 244 2nd Ave S., St. Petersburg. This four-week course is designed to prepare students to pass the FAA Remote Pilot Certificate exam. The course will include UAS regulations, flight operations and restrictions, emergency procedures, crew resource management, radio communication procedures, aeronautical decision-making and judgment, and maintenance and pre-flight inspection procedures. Registration can be completed by going tohttp://bit.ly/2tUXTpl. Career opportunities for students with drone training include business-entrepreneurship, military drone pilot, firefighter, disaster relief, search and rescue, law enforcement, oil and gas operations, border patrol, agriculture, package delivery, forestry, engineering, computer science, real estate, film and photography, and other industries.
- Nine-week MSSC Certified Production Technician Course on May 1-July 2 (class held on Tuesdays and Wednesdays) 5:30-8 p.m., SPC Epicenter Center, Room 318, 13805 58th St. N., Clearwater. This course provides entry-level training in manufacturing essentials to include safety awareness, production and processes, quality assurance, and maintenance awareness. Upon successful completion, students earn the Manufacturing Skill Standards Council (MSSC) Certified Production Technician (CPT) certification. Up to 15 credits from this course can transfer to an associate degree in Engineering Technology at SPC. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2IgyjO1
- Programmable Logic Controllers (PLCs) Certification Course on May 7-June 3. PLC Technicians install and repair industrial electronic equipment including I/O networks, data highways and variable speed drives, process control equipment, and write PLC programs for a variety of automated control systems ranging from simple on-off controls to robotics. The 30-hour SPC Workforce Institute PLCs Certification Program is a hybrid program providing 12 hours of online courseware, 15 hours of intensive hands-on lab activities and three hours of online preparation for the Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies (PMMI) exam. The five-day hands-on lab classes are from 1-4 p.m. and 5-8 p.m. on Monday, May 21 – Friday, May 25 at the BRAAS Company, 230 Douglas Rd, Oldsmar. Lab sessions are available. Registration can be completed by going to https://bit.ly/2xGxf3A and selecting the date and lab session you would like to attend.
For more information regarding these courses, please contact Fred Tucker at 727-791-2409 or mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check Athletics.spcollege.edu for game times and dates.
Upcoming information sessions:
Prospective students can learn more about our programs at these upcoming information sessions:
Thursday, April 26
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
Allstate Center, Desoto Room
3200 34th St. S., St. Petersburg
Thursday, April 26
Friday, April 27
St. Petersburg/Gibbs Campus, HS 118
6605 5th Ave. N.