SARASOTA, Fla. (March 09, 2018) – USF Sarasota-Manatee, Cumberland Advisors and the Global Interdependence Center are partnering to host a Financial Literacy Day on April 5 with a who’s who of financial experts including Raphael Bostic, president and CEO of the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
This all-day event at the USF Sarasota-Manatee campus, 8350 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, is packed with panelists and sessions to appeal to nearly anyone, from average investors saving for retirement to seasoned portfolio managers, economists and students.
- Municipal financial market developments
- The use of quantitative measurement/technical analysis in the stock market
- The outlook for the U.S. stock market and the world
- The U.S. banking system
- The global economic outlook
“We are excited to be able to partner with Cumberland Advisors and the Global Interdependence Center to offer this event to members of our community again this year,” said Dr. James Curran, dean of the College of Business at USFSM. “To be able to listen to the perspectives of so many financial experts from around the world is an incredible opportunity for anyone with a serious interest in the world of business.”Among the many speakers are Jeff Saut, chief investment strategist at Raymond James Financial; Natalie Cohen, managing director of municipal securities research at Wells Fargo Securities; Chris Whalen, chairman of Whalen Global Advisors LLC; and William J. Hogan, senior managing director, Assured Guaranty.
David Kotok, chief investment officer at Cumberland Advisors, will offer opening remarks and serve as program moderator. Kotok has written articles for The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal and contributes regularly to Bloomberg TV, Fox Business and other media.
At last year’s event, a special ceremony was held to dedicate the new David Kotok and Cumberland Advisors Bloomberg Lab at USFSM. The facility features 12 Bloomberg computer terminals for use by USF Sarasota-Manatee students and students within the Cross College Alliance, which includes, in addition to USFSM, New College of Florida, Ringling College of Art and Design, State College of Florida and FSU/The Ringling.
These highly prized information networks are typically used by Wall Street traders and financial advisors to track stocks and other investment vehicles and to monitor world economic and financial news. The terminals are a rarity at colleges. Kotok and Cumberland donated them to mark the first Financial Literacy Day last spring. At the upcoming event, Dr. Curran will provide an update as to how students are benefitting from the lab.
“Last year’s event was so well-received by members of our community that we decided to provide this learning opportunity once again,” USFSM Regional Chancellor Dr. Karen Holbrook said. “We are so grateful for the partnership we have with Cumberland Advisors and the Global Interdependence Center, which enable us to bring industry experts to our campus.”
The Financial Literacy Day starts at 8 a.m. and includes lunch. Registration is $50. Students may participate at a special rate of $25. To register or for more information visit usfsm.edu/event/financial-literacy-day.
The agenda is as follows:
8:00 – 8:30 a.m. | Registration and coffee
8:30 – 8:45 a.m. | Welcoming Remarks
- David Kotok, CIO, Cumberland Advisors and Global Interdependence Center board member
- Karen Holbrook, regional chancellor, USF Sarasota-Manatee
8:45 – 10:15 a.m. | Session I – Municipal Financial Market Developments
- Natalie Cohen, managing director municipal securities research, Wells Fargo Securities: The Condition of State/Local Pensions/Post Employment Funding
- John Mousseau, executive vice president and director of fixed income, Cumberland Advisors: Puerto Rico and the Municipal Bond Market in General
- William J. Hogan, senior managing director, Assured Guaranty: The Condition of Municipal Bond Insurers
- Moderator: Jim Pullen, Morgan Stanley
10:15 – 10:30 a.m. | Break
10:30 – 11:30 a.m. | Session II – Use of Quantitative Measurement/Technical Analysis in the Stock Market
- Katie Stockton, founder and managing partner, Fairlead Strategies, LLC
- Leo Chen, professor of mathematics at USF and quantitative analyst and portfolio manager, Cumberland Advisors: Quantitative Measurement and the U.S. Stock Market
- Moderator: Alison Gardner, senior vice president, financial advisor, RBC Wealth Management
11:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. | Special Report on the Use of the Bloomberg Laboratory – One Year Later
- Jim Curran, dean, USF Sarasota-Manatee College of Business
12:00 – 1:00 p.m. | Lunch
1:00 – 1:30 p.m. | Keynote Address
- Raphael Bostic, president and CEO, the Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
1:30 – 2:45 p.m. | Session III – Outlook for the US Stock Market and the World
- Jeff Saut, chief investment strategist, Raymond James Financial
- Jeremy Schwartz, director of research, WisdomTree Asset Management, Inc.
- Adam Johnson, the Bullseye Brief
- Matt McAleer, director of ETF strategies, Cumberland Advisors
- Moderator: Bill Kennedy, chief investment officer, Fieldpoint Private
2:45 – 3:00 p.m. | Break
3:00 – 3:30 p.m. | The US Banking System
- Chris Whalen, chairman, Whalen Global Advisors LLC and GIC Board Member
3:30 – 4:30 p.m. | Session IV – Global Economic Outlook
- Don Rissmiller, chief economist and founding partner, Strategas Research Partners
- Jeff Uscher, head of research, Jeff Uscher’s Japan Insider
- Leland Miller, CEO, China Beige Book International
- Moderator: Michael McKee, Bloomberg
4:30 – 4:45 p.m. | Concluding Remarks
- David Kotok, CIO, Cumberland Advisors and GIC Board Member
4:45 – 6:00 p.m. | Reception and Book Signing
Featuring Chris Whalen, chairman, Whalen Global Advisors LLC
About USF Sarasota-Manatee (USFSM)
USF Sarasota-Manatee is a regional campus of the University of South Florida system, offering the prestige of a nationally ranked research university with the convenience of a hometown location, including classes in Manatee and Sarasota counties, Venice and online. Separately accredited, USFSM is ideal for those interested in pursuing a baccalaureate or master’s degree, professional certification, or continuing education credit in a small, personal setting with distinguished faculty and a dynamic curriculum of more than 40 academic programs. Website: www.usfsm.edu.