The 2018 Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday celebration in St. Petersburg features 10 events:
- SOUNDS OF THE CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT: The Power of Song – January 7 & 8. Sunday 3 p.m. & 7 p.m.; Monday 7 p.m. • Palladium, 253 Fifth Ave. N. Production showcases local, national and international artists who tell the stories of the songs that drove the Civil Rights Movement. Free admission; tickets required and available at Box Office, 727-822-3590. www.mypalladium.org orwww.thepowerofsong.org
- 37th Annual MLK HIGH SCHOOL ESSAY CONTEST FINALS – Thursday, January 11. 7 p.m.
Students make their final oratorical presentations at the Enoch Davis Center, 1111 18th Ave. S. Free and open to the public. Cosponsored by the St. Petersburg Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Commemorative Organization, Inc. and Theta Eta Lambda Education Foundation of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc. Contact: Lynette Buchanan, 727-893-7134.
- The “MLK Dream Big” Elementary Brain Bowl – Saturday, January 13. 11 a.m.
Dr. Carter G. Woodson Museum, 2240 9th Ave S. Academic collegiate team competition for fifth graders, presented by Advantage Village Academy Inc. 4-Person teams, entries due by Dec. 31. Spectator tickets, $5 at the door. Proceeds benefit the winning teams. More info atwww.mlkdreambig.com.
- 1st Annual MLK DAY KICKOFF 3-ON-3 BASKETBALL CLASSIC – Sunday, January 14, 2 to 7 p.m. Jet Jackson Recreation Center, 1000 28th St. S. Basketball tournament, local business vendors, food trucks, and half-time show performances. Sponsored by the MLK Day of Service Advisory Board. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- MLK INTERFAITH MEMORIAL SERVICE – Sunday, January 14. 3 to 4:30 p.m.
St. Jude’s Cathedral, 5815 Fifth Ave. N. “Stand Up Together.” Keynote speaker: Rev. Dr. Russell L. Meyer, Executive Director of the Florida Council of Churches. Featuring local choirs and 2018 winner of the MLK Student Essay and Oratorical contest. Sponsored by Interfaith Tampa Bay. 727-560-2567.
- DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR. CANDLELIGHT VIGIL – Sunday, January 14. 4:30 p.m.
Carter G. Woodson African American Museum, 2240 Ninth Ave. S.
- 32nd Annual MLK LEADERSHIP AWARDS BREAKFAST – Monday, January 15. 7:30 a.m.
Coliseum, 535 Fourth Ave. N. Keynote speaker: Rev. Dr. Kevin W. Cosby from Louisville KY. Presented by St. Petersburg Metropolitan Section / National Council of Negro Women Inc. Contact: 727-896-6556. Tickets, $30/advance; $35/door, available at Coliseum Box Office, 727-892-5202.
- 6th Annual MLK DAY OF SERVICE – Monday, January 15. 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
The MLK Day of Service shines a spotlight on service as a powerful force to unite our community. Join local citizens, nonprofits, and businesses in this annual effort to transform the holiday into “A Day On, Not a Day Off.” Locations throughout St. Petersburg • www.spcollege.edu/MLKservice
- 33rd Annual “MLK DREAM BIG” PARADE – Monday, January 15. 11 a.m.
Please Note NEW ROUTE THIS YEAR! MLK Parade route travels west again this year: Parade begins on 1st Avenue South at 3rd Street, proceeds west to 16th St., turning south on 16th St. for two blocks, then west onto 3rd Ave. S. and disbanding near Tropicana Field Lot 1. Grand Marshal: NBA Champion Marreese Speights. More info: www.MLKDreambig.com
- 2nd Annual “MLK DREAM BIG” 2018 FAMILY FUN DAY FESTIVAL – Monday, January 15. 2:30 to 8 p.m. Immediately following the MLK Parade. East side of Tropicana Field, Parking Lot 7A. Free admission. Free activities, games and more. Live entertainment, Kids Zone, food and art vendors (items available for purchase). Disabled parking in Trop Lot 6, enter from 1st Ave. S. near 14th St. Some public parking in Tropicana Lots 8 and 9. For more info or for vendors to register, visitwww.MLKdreambig.com