Hudson, Florida (October 5, 2017) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point announces that it will offer a community lecture entitled “Do you suffer from Aortic Valve Stenosis? TAVR may be right for you!” The presentation will be conducted by Marshall DeSantis, MD. The program will be held at the Fox Hollow Golf Club, 10050 Robert Trent Jones Parkway, Trinity, Florida 34655.
Dr. DeSantis is board certified in cardiovascular and thoracic surgery. TAVR is a safe and alternative treatment option for patients with symptomatic aortic valve stenosis.
Registration is at 5 pm and a complimentary dinner will be served at 5:30. Due to limited seating reservations are required. For information and reservations call 727-869-5498 or toll free 888-741-5119 or online at www.RMCHealth.com.
What is TAVR?
TAVR is a minimally invasive surgical procedure which repairs the valve without removing the old, damaged valve. Instead, it wedges a replacement valve into the aortic valve’s place. The surgery may be called Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) or Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implementation (TAVI).
What is Aortic Valve Stenosis?
Aortic valve stenosis is one of the most common and most serious valve disease problems. Aortic stenosis is a narrowing of the aortic valve opening. Aortic stenosis restricts the blood flow from the left ventricle to the aorta and may also affect the pressure in the left atrium. Aortic valve stenosis does not always produce symptoms. It’s important to note that many people with aortic valve stenosis do not experience noticeable symptoms until the amount of restrictive blood flow becomes significantly reduced.
Symptoms of aortic stenosis may include:
- Chest pain (angina), pressure or tightness
- Fainting, also called syncope
- Palpitations or a feeling of heavy, pounding or noticeable heartbeats
- Decline in activity level or reduced ability to do normal activities requiring mild exertion
- Heart murmur
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 300 physicians, 1,264 employees and 400 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Accredited by The Joint Commission
- Healthgrades Multi-Award Recipient
o Five Star Recipient for Hip Fracture Treatment for 13 years in a row (2005-2017)
o Five Star Recipient for Back Surgery eight years in a row (2010 – 2017)
o Five Star Recipient for Repair of Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm for two years in a row (2016 – 2017)
o Recipient of Healthgrades 2017 Patient Safety Excellence Award™
o Named among the top 5% in the nation for Patient Safety in 2017
o Five Star Recipient for Appendectomy for three years in a row (2015 – 2017)
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
- Accredited Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgery
- Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, sepsis
- Accredited Teaching Facility by the American Osteopathic Association, Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.com or visit us on Facebook.