Due to Hurricane Irma, the Polk Museum of Art will be closed beginning Friday, Sept. 8 and remain so until further notice.
Museum staff are working Thursday and Friday to secure the building by removing art from the galleries and securing it in a safe storage location.
The museum has rescheduled several events to the following dates:
• Art Lab originally scheduled Sept. 9 is rescheduled to Sept. 16 at 10:30 a.m.
• VSA Student Reception originally scheduled Sept. 9 is rescheduled to Sept. 16 at 11 a.m.
• Point of View Gallery Talk with Dr. Alex Rich originally scheduled Sept. 8 is rescheduled to Sept. 22, noon-1 p.m.
• Access Art: Special Needs scheduled Sept. 9 is canceled. It will resume on Oct. 7 at 11 a.m.
Additional changes occurring during the week of Sept. 10 are as follows:
• School tours are canceled all week.
• Programs and meetings scheduled Sept. 11-13 will be rescheduled.
• Additional programmatic determinations will be made after the storm passes.
About the Polk Museum of Art at Florida Southern College
The Polk Museum of Art at Florida Southern College in Lakeland, Florida, is a private, not-for-profit academic museum dedicated to promoting inspirational and engaging arts experiences for all. It is one of the Top 10 art museums in the State of Florida, an Affiliate of the Smithsonian Institution and the only art museum accredited by the American Alliance of Museums serving the 561,000 residents of Polk County. Museum hours are 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesdays – Saturdays; 1-5 p.m. Sundays (closed Sundays June 1 through Labor Day) and closed Mondays and major holidays. Admission is free for everyone year-round, thanks to the following organizations and individuals: MIDFLORIDA Credit Union; the Ting Tsung and Wei Fong Chao Foundation; a Friend of the Community; and Southern Homes. The museum is fully accessible.