SARASOTA, FL – The Central West Coast Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association (CWC-FPRA) installed its 2017-2018 board of directors and recognized outstanding members during the Chapter Awards & Board Installation at Sophie’s at Saks in Sarasota. The event, which continued the honored tradition of the passing of the gavel by former presidents of CWC-FPRA, was a celebration of the past year of successes—including winning “Chapter of the Year” at the recent state conference—and opportunities for the coming year.
The following members were honored during the program: Sharon Kunkel was named Member of the Year; Kim Livengood earned the Ginya Carnahan Promoting the Profession Award; Murray Devine earned the Thomas Nunan Rising Star Award; and Wendy Parker Barsell, APR, earned the Ginnie Duffy Troyer Award of Professionalism.
The board was installed by the state association’s incoming VP of Chapter Services, Alyson Lundell, APR, CPRC, senior director of public relations for Universal Orlando Resort. Each member will serve a one-year term. Tara Poulton, government affairs program manager at Southwest Florida Water Management District, has been named the chapter’s new president.
“I have been involved with this Chapter since 2005 and I’m honored to have this opportunity to serve as president,” said Poulton. “I look forward to continuing the chapter’s tradition of leadership excellence.”
The chapter’s leadership is:
• President: Tara Poulton, Southwest Florida Water Management District
• Immediate Past President: Mischa Kirby, APR, Selby Gardens
• President-Elect: Rhonda Leiberick, APR, Habitat for Humanity of Sarasota
• VP of Accreditation: Lynn Hobeck-Bates, APR, Visit Sarasota County
• VP of Communications: Sharon Kunkel, Wordslinger Marketing & PR
• VP of Events: Jill McGarry, Blalock Walters
• VP of Finance: Murray Devine, Community Foundation of Sarasota County
• VP of Membership: Kim Livengood, The Eclipse Agency
• Director of Administration: Rachel Denton, Arts & Cultural Alliance
• Director of Image Awards: Elise Ramer, Coldwell Banker NRT
• Director of Newsletter: Laitin Schwerin, Coldwell Banker NRT
• Director of Professional Development: Robyn LaPorta, Gulfcoast South Area Health Education Center
• Director of Social Media: Shelby Isaacson, Mote Marine Laboratory & Aquarium
• Director of Special Events: Daniel Hodous, Goodwill Manasota
• Director of Sponsorship: Sheryl Viera, Caldwell Trust Company
• Director of Website: Alyssa Holcomb, Circus Arts Conservatory
The Central West Coast Chapter of the Florida Public Relations Association meets monthly for professional development luncheons and networking. Visit www.cwcfpra.com for more information.
The Florida Public Relations Association is dedicated to developing public relations practitioners who, through ethical and standardized practices, enhance the public relations profession in Florida. The organization’s 16 professional and 12 student chapters provide professional development, networking, and recognition opportunities for nearly 1,500 members across the state. FPRA is the nation’s oldest public relations organization, established by Lt. Col. John Dillin, APR, CPRC in 1938. For more information, visit www.fpra.org.