- Unemployment rate in Hillsborough County was 4.0 percent – down 0.7 points from last year. Our unemployment rate remains below that of the state of Florida at 4.3 percent and the nation overall at 4.5 percent. Some 29,420 Hillsborough County residents out of a total labor force of 730,835 were unemployed during the month of June.
- Major Industry Employment: The Tampa MSA was among the top five U.S. metros with the most year-over-year job growth at 3.6 percent, an increase of 44,700 new jobs. Tampa MSA continues to lead the state in job growth in several industries. The top two industries gaining the most jobs year-over-year were professional and business services with +16,200 new jobs and construction with +8,200 new jobs. Between May and June of this year, professional and business services added +3,500 new jobs. Tampa remained the first among all the metro areas in the state for the most job demand with 46,860 openings. Tampa also continues to rank first in the state in demand for high-skill, high-wage STEM occupations with 14,988 openings in June.
- Building Permits for single-family homes were up 4% over last year – from 667 permits last June to 692 this June. The total for the first six months of this year is 3,896 for a 21% increase from the same time last year of 3,219.
- Rental Rates for multi-family homes in Hillsborough County were up 4% and 3% in the Tampa MSA.
- Residential Real Estate on single family home sales in June were up 7 percent from last year, closing 2,020 homes versus 1,885 last June. Average home sale prices showed an increase of 8 percent over last year from $286,800 to $308,695 this year.
- Airport Activity for total cargo continues to see double digit increases of 25 percent compared last June.
The Economic Indicators for June 2017 have been uploaded to the Tampa Hillsborough EDC website and can be downloaded here.
For more information or questions, please contact:
MARKET RESEARCH ANALYST
TAMPA HILLSBOROUGH ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION
O: 813.518.2652 | M: 813.431.4051