ST. PETE BEACH, FL (July 12, 2017) – The City of St. Pete Beach celebrated its 60th Anniversary with business owners, residents, and city officials July 9 at the Don Cesar Hotel where they announced the winners of the “Best of St. Pete Beach Awards.” Among the winners was the Tradewinds Island Grand Resort for Best Large Business, Larry’s Ice Cream and Gelato for Best Ice Cream on the Beach, and The Plaza Beach Hotel for the Best Hotel on St. Pete Beach.
Preceding the awards, volunteers from the Gulf Beaches Historical Museum gave a presentation on the development of St. Pete Beach from when Indians settled on the island in the 1800’s until present day progress of the beach town.
The following businesses were honored at the celebration brunch:
• Best Hotel – Plaza Beach Resorts: This boutique family owned hotel has been a community landmark since the early 1950’s. Nestled right on the sand, the Plaza Beach Hotel radiates that authentic Florida feeling. The resorts are known for its award-winning staff, sparkling rooms, and best-of-both-worlds mentality with two sister properties located opposite the beach on the Boca Ciega Bay.
• Best Place for Breakfast –Seahorse Restaurant: Located across from the historic Merry Pier, The Seahorse Restaurant has been serving the community since 1938 as one of the original Drive-In restaurants. Stop in on a Sunday morning for Mimosa Sunday and leave with a jar of their signature organic Seahorse Jelly, a locally produced and organic jam unique to the restaurant.
• Best Place for Lunch – Willy’s Burgers and Booze: Just as the name suggests, Willy’s is known for tasty burgers and endless drink options. Try their signature Willy’s Big One burger made with quality sirloin and topped with the works. Every night from midnight to 2 a.m., you can have Willy’s Big One and their famous tots for the $5.77 Midnight Special.
• Best Place for Dinner – Snapper’s Sea Grill: Snappers prides itself in being “where casual elegance meets exceptional seafood” with its sleek atmosphere and diverse selection of food. For dinner, try one of their unique dishes like the Jumbo Coconut Fried Shrimp or the flavorful Wasabi Crusted Tuna.
• Best Small Business – Barracuda Deli Cafe: Many places boast that they have the “best Cuban sandwich” but Barracuda isn’t exaggerating. Their small but friendly staff serves and delivers some of the best Cuban/Mexican fusion on St. Pete Beach at a reasonable price.
• Best Large Business – Tradewinds Island Resorts: As one of the biggest businesses on St. Pete Beach, the Tradewinds is made up of two resorts: The Island Grand and The Guy Harvey Outpost which features 14 restaurants, 7 pools, and countless amenities including the High Tide Slide and the JetLev Flyer that shoots riders over 30 feet in the air over the Gulf of Mexico.
• Best Retail Shop – Bamboozle: When you step into Bamboozle it’s no wonder they were voted “best retail shop” on St. Pete Beach. The eclectic collection of clothing and accessories will keep shoppers browsing through quality handmade jewelry, home decor, and unique St. Pete Beach souvenirs.
• Best Bar – Drunken Clam: Often called the “best dive bar in town,” the Drunken Clam always has something going on. The bar not only has a great name, but they boast of the “best wings on the beach” and a destination for live music every weekend.
• Best Place for Live Music – Jimmy B’s: Located at the Beachcomber Beach Resort Hotel, Jimmy B’s has always been a go-to for live music 7 days a week and calls itself the “Mecca for surf, sand, sun and fun.” Celebrate St. Pete Beach’s famous sunsets with a free Sunset Shooter every night at sunset.
• Best Place for Ice Cream – Larry’s Ice Cream and Gelatos: With more than a hundred flavors of ice cream, artisan mini donuts, and freshly made waffle cones, it’s no surprise that St. Pete Beach voted Larry’s as the Best Place for Ice Cream on the beach. Not interested in the fancy fare? Stop in and grab one of the best classic banana splits you’ll find on the Gulf coast.
Following the awards, a birthday cake was presented and the crowd sang a chorus of “Happy Birthday” to celebrate the 60th Anniversary of St. Pete Beach.
About Plaza Beach Resorts: The Plaza Beach Resorts is a collection of three award winning boutique resorts located on the island of St Pete Beach in Florida. The Plaza Beach Hotel-Beachfront Resort, the Bayview Plaza Waterfront Resort, and the Bay Palms Waterfront Resort – Hotel and Marina have been community landmarks since the late 1940’s/early 1950’s. All three resorts are boutique by design with Plaza Beach having only 39 suites, Bay Palms with 15 suites, and the smallest, but most charming, resort is the Bayview Plaza with only 7 suites. https://www.plazabeachresorts.com/