Student-volunteer organization to give hands-on training to visiting groups
ST. PETERSBURG, FL (April 25, 2017) – Eckerd College Search and Rescue (EC-SAR) will present its program through interactive training to the International Boating and Water Safety Summit (ibwss.org) on Tuesday, April 25, from 8:30 to 11 a.m. at the Eckerd College Waterfront Complex, 4200 54th Ave. S., St. Petersburg.
As the nation’s only collegiate maritime rescue organization, EC-SAR has attended the IBWSS for many years. When St. Petersburg was picked as the host city, organizers reached out to Eckerd to plan a day of activities highlighting the skills our all-volunteer undergraduate squad gains through its service.
Tuesday’s hands-on activities will include:
· a classroom presentation about EC-SAR and tour of the College’s facilities;
· a simulation of self-rescue and emergency procedures with attendees placed in a partially sunken boat;
· an emergency simulation for rescue techniques involving kayakers and paddleboarders;
· a rescue simulation for swimmers or people who have fallen overboard; and
· marine firefighting target practice using a rescue boat equipped with a pump.