TAMPA, FL – Feb. 24, 2017 – Ten University of South Florida alumni under 35 years old will be recognized as Outstanding Young Alumni for their exceptional professional achievements.
The award recipients boast an array of accomplishments, from a Super Bowl champion to a legislator who became Florida’s youngest elected official at 18 to a physician-attorney who donates medical and legal services to the underserved. Recipients will receive their awards on May 19, 2017 at a special reception and ceremony in Tampa.
• Eric J. Biel, ’13 & MBA ’16, co-founder and COO of Tembo Education, a social enterprise that brings early childhood education to children around the world via text messages
• Florida Rep. Daniel Wright Burgess Jr., ’08, a city council member at 18 and a mayor at 26, he’s a state legislator, captain in the U.S. Army Reserve and a lawyer with Lucas Magazine
• Stephenie Davis, ’15, president and CEO of Davis Industrial (formerly BMG Conveyor Services of Florida), which has received numerous awards, including Inc. 5000 and finalist for the Greater Tampa Chamber of Commerce’s 2016 Small Business of the Year
• Iris A. Elijah, ’08, assistant general counsel for the State University System of Florida, Board of Governors, she’s the board’s first black attorney and the youngest in its history
• Amanda Evora, ’12, USFSM, a pair ice skater who competed in the 2010 Olympics and earned medals in five U.S. championships, she helped coach a group of skaters who became national champions
• Ryan Gilliam, attended ’05-’08, a former Bulls football player who is COO and co-owner of Pediatric Behavioral Services, managing partner of Creating Success Associates and author of The Cost of Greatness
• Brad Kendell, ’03, a medalist in several world sailing competitions, including a silver at the 2016 Summer Paralympics in Rio and a gold in the Para World Sailing Championship in the Netherlands, and senior project manager and estimator for KHS&S Contractors
• Amy Martz, ’04, co-owner and vice president of Martz Creative, Inc. and award-winning artist and photographer whose work is featured in the four-star hotel Le Meridien and the City of Tampa’s permanent art collection, and has been exhibited at the Florida Museum of Photographic Arts
• Jason Pierre-Paul, attended ’09, a defensive end for the New York Giants since becoming their first-round draft pick after his junior year as a Bulls football player, he has helped his team to a 2012 Super Bowl championship and has been selected to two NFL Pro Bowls
• Dr. Dorothy M. Russ, ’05, a physician, lawyer and medical director of The Russ Group primary and urgent medical care provider, she donates both medical and legal services to the underserved
The 2017 USF Outstanding Young Alumnus Awards are sponsored by NorthStar Bank. The award was established in 2004 to annually recognize young alumni for their professional accomplishments and engagement with the university. For more information, visit www.usfalumni.org/oyaa.
About the USF Alumni Association
The USF Alumni Association is a self-funded, nonprofit organization comprised of former students and friends of the University of South Florida. The association helps USF’s 315,000 alumni stay connected and provides meaningful ways for USF Bulls to support, promote and protect their university. For more information, visit www.USFalumni.org, like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/USFalumni or follow us on Twitter @USFAlumniAssn.
About NorthStar Bank
NorthStar Bank, founded in 2007, is an independent community bank headquartered in Tampa, Fla., with assets exceeding $200 million. With offices spread out in the Tampa Bay area, NorthStar Bank has branches in downtown Tampa, South Tampa, and Belleair Bluffs. When it comes to technological resources and financial expertise, NorthStar has the kind of exceptional offerings you can get from big national banks but with the attentive customer service of a community bank. NorthStar Bank provides the highest level of personal and commercial banking services by doing the unexpected to deliver unparalleled service quality and product value. For clients looking to Bank Up, NorthStar is the clear choice.