Twenty-three Teams of Manatee County Students and Creatives Bring
Interactive Art and Experiences to Downtown Bradenton on Mar. 4, 2017
BRADENTON, Fla. — Downtown Bradenton’s Old Main Street will be transformed into a creative zone during Realize Bradenton’s 8th annual ArtSlam, March 4, 2017, from 9 a.m.–4 p.m. The free event features live performances, site-specific installations, and interactive art experiences by Manatee County art students and professional local artists.
“The projects and performances by the teams encourage interaction, innovation, and leadership. Each team project is unique, and many forms of art are represented—media, culinary, performing, and visual. We are creating a place for Manatee County students to experience a community connection to the art they make,” explains Holly Eisemann, Events and Creative Services Manager for Realize Bradenton. “ArtSlam provides students from 12 Manatee County Schools and professional artists a platform to take their creative work out of the classrooms, studios, and theaters, and onto the streets of downtown Bradenton,” says Eisemann.
In addition to students, professional artists are also participating. Patrons can have a free caricature drawn by local artist Michael White; participate in an interactive drum circle with Scott Blum; find their way through large-scale artistic mazes with The ArtistMSG; and witness the transformation of a Nissan Sentra by vertical aerosol artist, Richie Brasil.
“This is a family friendly, free event where we encourage engagement in the creative process by all ages. From a comedy magic show to Bradenton’s first popup park-let, there will be something for everyone,” explains Eisemann.
The weekly Bradenton Farmers’ Market is taking place during ArtSlam on Old Main Street. The market features more than 30 vendors offering locally grown fruits, vegetables, organic products, prepared foods, and the work of local artists and craftspeople. Market vendors, local restaurants, and food trucks will have food and drink available for purchase.
Produced by Realize Bradenton, ArtSlam is supported by the Bradenton Downtown Development Authority, the Manatee Education Foundation, Firkins Nissan, IMG Academy, and the Bradenton Herald.
- “Caricatures” — Michael White Art
- This award-winning local artist will make you the star with free caricature drawings.
- “The Great Pretenders” — Manatee Art Education Association
- Express yourself creatively by crafting a unique and imaginative mask.
- Jazz Performances — State College of Florida
- At 11 a.m. and 12 p.m., the Jazz band at State College of Florida will perform on 4th Ave. and Old Main Street
- Tennis Ball Creations — IMG Academy
- Use your imagination to create sculptures, using re-purposed tennis balls and connecting wooden dowels. These up-sized Tinker Toy-like constructions are without limit.
- Comedy, Magic and More — George Gilbert
- A comedy magic show featuring mind-boggling tricks, audience interaction and hilarious improvisation.
- Live Art — Inspiration Academy
- Art comes alive with paintings that move and interact with the crowd! Get involved and take a photo in the photo booth, or create your own personalized bookmark. Student artwork will also be for sale.
- The Art of Rhythm — Haile Middle School
- Haile art students create a visual representation rhythm and its’ use in creating artwork.
- Community Mural — Bayshore High School
- Large outlined canvases ready to be filled by the public with images of Florida wildlife.
- MYPark-Let — Manatee Young Professionals
- Downtown Bradenton’s first “park-let”! A standard parking space transforms into an enticing mini-park. Sit a spell and enjoy this popup park while it lasts.
- Dance Performances — Lee Middle, Bayshore High and Inspiration Academy
- Beginning at 1:30 p.m., local middle and high school dance teams will perform on 4th Ave. and Old Main Street.
- Mystical Nymphs — Southeast High School VPA Academy
- Full body master paintings of sea, fire, and woodlands will be created. Free face and body painting is offered to viewers.
- The Read-In Corner — The Reading Corner
- Cozy up with a good read from this mini library, created using recycled materials and decorated by kids.
- Dream It, Draw It — AprilArt Studios
- Watch as your ideas become reality as you answer the question: “What would you love to see in downtown Bradenton?”
- Up’Scale’ Fish — Manatee School of the Arts
- Watch students construct a giant fish sculpture using materials found along our shorelines. Paint your own scale to be added to the fish.
- Drumline Performance — Manatee High School
- Watch the Manatee High School drumline march down Old Main Street and gather as they perform for the crowd.
- Paint like Pollock — R.H. Prine Elementary
- Express yourself using the creative techniques of famous artist, Jackson Pollock.
- UpCycled Art — Lakewood Ranch High School (LRHS)
- Create a masterpiece out of recycled materials and learn about the effects of waste on our environment. Support LRHS by purchasing student art work by donation.
- “Pop Art Face Painting” — Palmetto High School
- Be a superhero for the day. Choose from three superhero-themed face paint designs and get your picture taken in front of an artistic comic backdrop.
- Edible Architecture — Sugar Cubed / Geraldson Community Farm
- Edible structures for kids to build using fresh grapes and local veggies.
- Vertical Art with Richie Brasil and Firkins Nissan
- Watch Bradenton artist transforms a wrapped Nissan Sentra with live aerosol painting.
- Feel the Beat — Scott Blum Music
- Explore sounds, learn drumming techniques, and experience the joy of creating music together.
- Recycle Pinwheels — Saint Stephen’s Episcopal School
- Create your own pinwheel using recycled materials.
- Fun with Clay — ArtCenter Manatee Pottery Group
- Learn basic hand-building techniques while creating a piece of pottery you can keep.
- Recycle Fashion — Manatee County Public Library
- Create your own wearable headband or armband using recycled materials.
- Wearable Abstract Art — The Creative Wagon
- Create an abstract masterpiece using wooden shapes and turn it into art jewelry.
- Interactive ArtMazes — TheArtistMsg
- Life-size solvable art mazes to stimulate the eye and challenge the mind.
# # #
About Realize Bradenton
Realize Bradenton is a non-profit organization that brings people together to create a vibrant and prosperous Bradenton area. For more information visit: RealizeBradenton.com.