St. James House of Prayer Episcopal Church in Tampa, Florida is a merged church created by the coming together in 1997 of two of Tampa’s oldest Episcopal Churches: the Historic St. James Episcopal Church founded by Afro Cubans and Black Bahamians in 1892 and the Historic House of Prayer Episcopal Church founded by Whites in 1907 and later to become one of the first “integrated” churches in Tampa. To commemorate this anniversary, a weekend of fellowship, storytelling, worship and celebration is planned. The theme for the weekend is “Together in One Faith, One Hope, One Lord.” Details of three planned events are below:
“Together in One Faith, One Hope, One Lord”
Schedule of Events:
1. Friday, February 17, 7:00 – 9:00p
This will be an evening of jazz, wine, cheese, and fellowship with local favorite Standing 8 Count Jazz Band!
2. Saturday, February 18, 2:00 – 4:00p
Remembering Our Stories
This will be a program featuring memories of parish members from the historic parishes of St. James and House of Prayer Episcopal Churches as well as from select time periods over the past twenty years in the life of St. James House of Prayer. A “story telling” panel presentation will be followed by an open discussion of current and former church members about how these stories have helped formed and define the Church today.
3. Sunday, February 19, 10:00a
Holy Eucharist, Confirmation, and 20th Anniversary Gala Celebration Reception
This service will formally commemorate our 20th Anniversary as a merged congregation.
Episcopal Diocese of Southwest Florida Bishop Dabney Smith will be attending. This service will be followed with a Gala Celebration in the Parish Hall!
All events will be held at the Church located at 2708 North Central Avenue, Tampa, Florida 33602.
The Church Office phone number is 813.223.6090 and the email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. The Church website is currently undergoing reconstruction (www.sjhoptpa.org)