Tampa, FL – Hillsborough Community College (HCC) is requesting $41.5 million from the Florida Legislature to expand programs and fund the design and construction of two new buildings and address critical maintenance issues across the college’s district.
The college’s current requests include:
• $23 million for the construction of a new Dale Mabry Allied Health building. The new building will house HCC Nursing, Emergency Medical Services and Respiratory Care programs and will be designed and equipped to include a simulation suite that will mirror a hospital setting. The state has already appropriated $3 million for planning, design and engineering.
• $15 million for district deferred maintenance projects that have been deemed critical to ensuring the safety of students, faculty and staff. These dollars will cover a wide range of projects including roof replacements for eight buildings, fire alarm panels, elevator repairs and upgrades, and access control for exterior doors throughout the district.
• $3 million for planning, designing and engineering for a Workforce Transitions Center on the SouthShore Campus. The center will focus on pathways into high-demand, high-wage careers and provide expansion space for admissions, registration, advising and testing. The building will also contain a new campus Veterans Center, support for HCC’s Lennard Collegiate Academy, multi-purpose classroom spaces, and a large group space for community and college use.
• $500,000 to launch phase one of a two-phase project titled, Apprenticeship Tampa Bay. The program will focus on future workforce needs in the building and construction trades industry and new occupational areas such as health sciences and manufacturing. Phase one will address immediate training capacity needs by increasing enrollment, expanding employer partnerships, and upgrading equipment.
• The acquisition of the properties next to the Dale Mabry Campus from the State of Florida’s Department of Juvenile Justice to accommodate the long-term growth of the college’s largest campus.
Hillsborough Community College serves more than 45,000 students annually on campuses on Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa and in Brandon, Plant City, Ruskin and Ybor City. Hillsborough Community College is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. For more information, please visit hccfl.edu.