Call for Applicants now open, deadline to apply is Feb. 20
TAMPA, Fla. (December 16, 2016) – Tampa Bay Businesses for Culture & the Arts (TBBCA) is pleased to announce the Call for Applicants for its 2017 Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships Program. The TBBCA Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships program provides financial support to Tampa Bay students to help them pursue higher education in the arts.
Each year, TBBCA awards $15,000 in scholarships to Tampa Bay area high school juniors and seniors in Hillsborough, Pinellas and Pasco counties. The scholarships are awarded based on merit and artistic ability in the fields of instrumental music, vocal music, theatre, dance, visual arts and literary arts. Qualified students may apply in one, more, or all disciplines, via separate applications for each category.
This TBBCA program to support arts education and young artists is named in honor of TBBCA Past President, the late Charlie Hounchell, who was the program’s founder and champion. Since 2007, TBBCA has awarded 55 scholarships providing financial assistance for higher education tuition to Tampa Bay area students who are some of the most promising and talented young artists and performers in the nation. Past winners have attended prestigious institutions, including The Juilliard School, New York University’s Tisch School of the Arts, Savannah College of Art & Design, the University of South Florida, and the University of Tampa.
The 2017 Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships Program guidelines and applications are available for Applications may be downloaded at https://www.tbbca.org/programs-events/art-stars-scholarships/ Interested parties can also contact TBBCA Executive Director Susana Weymouth at email@example.com to request an email copy. There is no fee to apply.
A completed application packet must be mailed to TBBCA at P.O. Box 559, Tampa, FL 33601, by the deadline of Monday, Feb. 20, 2017. TBBCA will announce the 2017 winners in April.
The 2016 Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships were awarded to:
• Theatre: Courteney McClutchy, a graduate of East Lake High School, is pursuing a BFA in musical theatre at Point Park University in Pittsburg.
• Literary Arts: Lyrik Courtney, now a senior at Howard W. Blake School for the Performing Arts, studies creative writing and is enrolled in HCC dual enrollment courses.
• Dance: Sabrina Downing, a graduate of Howard W. Blake High School, is pursuing a BFA in dance and a bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary natural sciences at the University of South Florida.
• Instrumental Music: Jason Charos, a senior at the Pinellas County Center for the Arts and Gibbs High School, plans to attend the Julliard School of Music.
• Vocal Music: Lillian Kraack, a graduate of Newsome High School, is majoring in musical theatre and vocal performance at Oklahoma City University.
• Visual Arts – Aidan Schaffert, a senior at Pinellas County Center for the Arts at Gibbs High School, plans to continue his post-secondary studies in fine arts.
The 2016 scholarship recipients showcased their talents last May at The Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships Awards Ceremony at TBBCA Cultural pARTner the Museum of Fine Arts in St. Petersburg.
Tampa Bay BCA is a non-profit 501 (c) (3), one of 11 national Business Committees for the Arts of the private sector network and pARTnership movement of Americans for the Arts. For over 27 years, TBBCA has united businesses in support of arts education, and culture and the arts in our community, based on the philosophy that ‘the arts are good for business, and business is good for the arts.’ TBBCA offers programs that bridge the bay, including Cultural Encounters, Pop-Up Prose and Poetry, Emergency Fund for Jazz Musicians, TBBCA Chalk Walks, Culturepreneur Leadership Intern Program, Call to Artists, and The Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships. To join the TBBCA pARTnership Movement or to donate online to The Charlie Hounchell Art Stars Scholarships go to www.tbbca.org. or contact TBBCA Executive Director Susana Weymouth at 813-221-2787. Individual CHASS scholarship naming rights and sponsorships are available.