See TED Talks livestreamed from TEDWomen 2016 conference on Thursday, Oct. 27</em
TEDxOldsmarWomen will take place on Thursday, Oct. 27 with the themes “It’s My Time” and “It’s About Time.” The independently organized event, licensed by TED, is one of five locations in Florida showing a live-stream of the sold-out TEDxWomen 2016 conference in San Francisco.
TED started as a small nonprofit in 1984 to share “Ideas Worth Spreading” from three disciplines – Technology, Entertainment and Design. The ideas are shared in the form of a “TED Talk,” which is a story or narrative in 18 minutes or less. TEDx is program of locally organized events that bring the community together to share a TED-like experience.
TEDWomen is a three-day conference about the power of women and girls to be creators and change-makers. TEDxWomen events are locally organized TEDx events that simulcast the official conference.
During “It’s My Time,” TED Talks will challenge time-saving technologies and encourage attendees to pay full attention and be fully present. The seven speakers for this session will include:
– Author Laura Vanderkam shatters the myth that there just isn’t enough time in the week for working professionals to live happy, balanced and productive lives.
– Social entrepreneur Peter Boyd founded Time4Good to maximize the positive impact of the world’s busiest people and the charities they care about.
– Writer Linda Sivertsen created an app to track partner satisfaction (and put boyfriends on notice) after wasting time on doomed relationships
During “It’s About Time,” TED Talks offer long-term solutions to climate change, poverty, immigration, violence, race, gender and economic inequities and achieve different outcomes. Some of the ten speakers during this session include:
– Community organizer Kennedy Odede fights poverty and sexual violence through education and activism as the unofficial “mayor” of Kibera, the biggest slum in Nairobi.
– Writer Thordis Elva tirelessly campaigns for gender equality and she was voted Woman of the Year 2015 in her native Iceland.
– Transgender activist Tiq Milan evangelizes for the unifying power of love and advocates for positive and honest portrayals of LGBTQ people in media
TEDxOldsmarWomen will take place from 5:30 – 8:45 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 27 at The Nielsen Company’s Global Technology and Innovation Center, located at 501 Brooker Creek Blvd in Oldsmar, Florida.
For more information and to register, please visit TEDxOldsmar.com. The event is free to attend, however, advance registration is required as seating is limited.
TEDxOldsmarWomen connects the Tampa Bay community to inspire innovation and foster visionary ideas.
TED is a nonprofit organization devoted to Ideas Worth Spreading, usually in the form of short, powerful talks (18 minutes or fewer) delivered by today’s leading thinkers and doers. Many of these talks are given at TED’s annual conference in Vancouver, British Columbia, and made available, free, on TED.com. TED speakers have included Bill Gates, Jane Goodall, Elizabeth Gilbert, Sir Richard Branson, Monica Lewinsky, Philippe Starck, Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala,Sal Khan and Daniel Kahneman.
TED’s open and free initiatives for spreading ideas include TED.com, where new TED Talk videos are posted daily; the Open Translation Project, which provides subtitles and interactive transcripts as well as translations from thousands of volunteers worldwide; the educational initiative TED-Ed; the annual million-dollar TED Prize, which funds exceptional individuals with a “wish,” or idea, to create change in the world; TEDx, which provides licenses to thousands of individuals and groups who host local, self-organized TED-style events around the world; and the TED Fellows program, which selects innovators from around the globe to amplify the impact of their remarkable projects and activities.
About TEDx, x = independently organized event
In the spirit of ideas worth spreading, TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. At a TEDx event, TED Talks video and live speakers combine to spark deep discussion and connection. These local, self-organized events are branded TEDx, where x = independently organized TED event. The TED Conference provides general guidance for the TEDx program, but individual TEDx events are self-organized. (Subject to certain rules and regulations.)