Hudson, Florida (August 10, 2016) – Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has announced the recipients of its second quarter volunteer Star Awards. The awards were presented on July 29 in the Shoreline Cafeteria at RMCBP. Five Star honored volunteers included Barbara Ahlhelm, June Combs, and Vikki Neftleberg. Genevieve VanSteen, Bonnie Kowalewski and Charles Hartjes were recognized with the One Star Award.
Barbara Ahlhelm started volunteering in 2006 and has accumulated over 2,200 hours of service working at Welcome Center D. Barbara’s pleasant demeanor and friendly smile are contagious. “Barbara has a reputation of working well with others and is always ready to serve patients, family and staff. She’s a dedicated volunteer who rarely misses any days and is always willing to go above and beyond,” said volunteer manager Donna Owen.
June Combs has nearly 14 years of volunteer service and over 6,500 accumulated hours. June has worked in the Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point’s volunteer office and is now assisting at Welcome Center D. June is known for being pleasant, polite and kind to all whom she encounters as well as being very helpful to patients, families and staff. “Her customer service skills are exceptional. She is loyal, dedicated and willing to do whatever is required of her,” said Donna Owen.
Vikki Neftleberg has been volunteering at Welcome A since 2009 and has recently taken on the position of assistant treasurer. Vikki greets everyone with a smile at Welcome A and is very helpful. She’s dedicated to her assignments, enjoys what she does and it shows. “Vikki has excellent customer service skills and gives a nice first impression of our hospital. She is always willing to help when needed and has taken on many substitute assignments,” said volunteer manager Donna Owen. “Vikki is a great example of what a volunteer is about,” she added.
Bonnie Kowalewski has been a courier, Volunteer Ambassador and mail courier since beginning her volunteer work at RMCBP in January 2014. “Bonnie always wears a smile for everyone she greets and always with a kind word to show that she cares. She goes the extra mile and will substitute whenever shifts are made vacant. She’s a very dedicated volunteer,” said Donna Owen. “Staff members have stated that when Bonnie goes about delivering the mail, she puts a smile on their faces,” she added.
Charles Hartjes began volunteering at RMCBP in May 2013 at Welcome Door D and has accumulated nearly 1,000 hours of service, and he also serves on the finance committee as an advisor. “Charles treats all with kindness, as he likes to be treated. He works well with everyone and is well liked by all. You can depend on Charles, not only does he work his shift but goes beyond, working extra many times for others. He provides excellent service to patients, guests and coworkers,” said volunteer manager Donna Owen.
Genevieve VanSteen has been volunteering at Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point since January 2010 where she works as a chaplain’s aid. She has accumulated over 1,000 hours. “Jean is selfless and is always willing to assist even with office duties,” said volunteer manager Donna Owen. “She is a tireless worker and works behind the scenes making our chaplain’s office run smoothly,” she added. As an RN Jean is cognizant of our patients’ physical needs and as a chaplain’s aid she is well aware of their spiritual needs as well.
About Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point
Regional Medical Center Bayonet has been serving the community since 1981. We are a 290-bed acute care hospital located in Hudson, FL and home of the nationally acclaimed Heart Institute. We have more than 350 physicians, 1,264 employees and 500 volunteers on our integrated healthcare delivery team.
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point has achieved distinction in the following areas:
- Level II Trauma Center
- Accredited Chest Pain Center with PCI by the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care
- 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, and surgical care – The Joint Commission
- Certified Advance Primary Stroke Center – Joint Commission
- 2014 and 2015 Top Performing Hospital for Key Quality Measures for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, VTE and stroke – The Joint Commission
- Heart & Stroke Champions Award Winner 1998 – 2011
- MRI, CT, Ultrasound, and Nuclear Medicine Accredited – American College of Radiology
- Approved Community Cancer Program – American College of Surgeons
- 5 Joint Commission Disease-Specific Certifications: primary stroke center, acute myocardial infarction, coronary artery bypass graft, joint replacement hip, joint replacement knee
- Awarded Hospital Safety Score of “A” in SIX consecutive rankings by The Leapfrog Group
- Recipient of the 2014 American Heart Association (AHA)/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines® Gold Performance Achievement Award in stroke
- Awarded full Atrial Fibrillation Certification status from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care (SCPC)
- Recipient of 2016 Blue Distinction® Center+ Designation for Quality and Cost-Efficiency in Cardiac Care
Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point is located at 14000 Fivay Road, Hudson, FL. 34667. For additional information on Regional Medical Center Bayonet Point visit www.rmchealth.com or www.heartoftampa.com or visit us on Facebook.